Anyone confirm getting Rev. 2 EPYC 7002 Boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
The NH-D9 DX-3647 appears to concentrate the heat pipes longitudinally at the midline. The Epyc 7002 chiplet layout puts the chiplets out toward the package edges. So, the heat piples aren't where you want them to be. The Supermicro HSF heatpipes appear to be perpendicular to the long axis and would seem better suited for the Epyc 7002 chiplet layout. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

EDIT: Well, if you look at this picture the chiplets are not at the edges so the Noctua option wouldn't be terrible except that each heatpipe is going to cross 4 chiplets and the i/o die but the Supermicro configuration would put each heat pipe across just 2 chiplets and the i/o die would get a heatpipe of its own.

Good point, it looks like the Supermicro heatsink may be a little more efficient, plus it’s a tad less expensive and more compact. Was there a second image in your post? I’m just seeing a red X next the Epyc die diagram.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ugh, just found out there was a deliver exception, I guess signature is required. So won't have these until at least tomorrow. Annoying.

Reactions: Geran

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Alright, I hate when that happens. Did you order it all from Superbiiz?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Few quick pics of the Supermicro HSF. Going to post more pics in a build log later. Will link here.

SuperMicro 4U EPYC HSF
thanks for posting. The SM solutions looks so much like it could be a proper after market solution, doesn’t even look like it would be that loud.

With the power and heat of these high core count CPU’s I guess some of the more compact options are also out of the question, (unless rather exotic expensive solutions) at least if noise is any kind of consideration.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
@elag How did you configure your system on first install? My server will not boot via IPMI because of this. Did you get into the BIOS one time via keyboard and VGA?

SnapStream Server Boots to SuperMicro PCI Bus Enumeration Message
Do you have a separate video card plugged into one of the slots? I would guess that if you are seeing the same thing that you have a video card plugged in. I don't so I don't have any experience on what to do. Check that the BCM is the first card in the BIOS? I recall seeing an option to choose between the Aspeed and PCIE..

An yes, for me access via keyboard and VGA worked first time

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Do you have a separate video card plugged into one of the slots? I would guess that if you are seeing the same thing that you have a video card plugged in. I don't so I don't have any experience on what to do. Check that the BCM is the first card in the BIOS? I recall seeing an option to choose between the Aspeed and PCIE..

An yes, for me access via keyboard and VGA worked first time
Yes I do have a separate video card. I took it out and was able to get into the BIOS. I tried setting add-on card as the primary VGA adapter and seeing if that did anything but it doesn't. The server will not boot with the GPU installed if I'm also connected via IPMI. If I just boot the server without the iKVM open it will boot. But that's super annoying that I have to remove the GPU in order to get into the BIOS via IPMI.

I really hope I'm missing some BIOS setting that will allow me to get in via IPMI with the GPU installed.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Yes I do have a separate video card. I took it out and was able to get into the BIOS. I tried setting add-on card as the primary VGA adapter and seeing if that did anything but it doesn't. The server will not boot with the GPU installed if I'm also connected via IPMI. If I just boot the server without the iKVM open it will boot. But that's super annoying that I have to remove the GPU in order to get into the BIOS via IPMI.

I really hope I'm missing some BIOS setting that will allow me to get in via IPMI with the GPU installed.
Did you try to set the BMC as primary?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So the only way I could get the board to POST is to set the primary VGA adapter to the add on card and to make sure the IPMI is not open. So as it stands I can not access the BIOS via IPMI with my add on GPU installed. What an annoyance.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
So the only way I could get the board to POST is to set the primary VGA adapter to the add on card and to make sure the IPMI is not open. So as it stands I can not access the BIOS via IPMI with my add on GPU installed. What an annoyance.
Wow, that stinks. What does Supermicro say? I would think this would be something that could be fixed via a firmware update.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Wow, that stinks. What does Supermicro say? I would think this would be something that could be fixed via a firmware update.
I'm reaching out to them today. We'll see what they say.

On a positive note, the SuperMicro 4U SP3 cooler is fantastic. It's quiet and has kept my CPU in the high 30's-low 40's.