Anyone confirm getting Rev. 2 EPYC 7002 Boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

elag

Dec 1, 2018
What kind of HSF are you using to cool your 7302P? Every one I see has the fan pointed vertically instead of horizontally front to back.

EDIT: Maybe this would work but I'd want to change out the fan as I assume the stock one is loud.

Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 4U Active CPU Heat Sink For AMD EPYC OLGA4094 SP3 Socket
I am using a Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3
I mounted the board in a tower case (Define R5) and added an extra fan in the top, so the fan orientation worked out pretty well for me.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I am using a Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3
I mounted the board in a tower case (Define R5) and added an extra fan in the top, so the fan orientation worked out pretty well for me.
Gotcha. Yea that would not work in my 4U rackmount case so I decided to go with the Supermicro 4U cooler.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I'd love to go with a Noctua but the orientation of the fan on them is the problem. I need the fan blowing towards the back of my case.
Is it not possible to rotate the mounting brackets 90-degrees? My prior Noctua heatsinks have that capability.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Is it not possible to rotate the mounting brackets 90-degrees? My prior Noctua heatsinks have that capability.
probably not due to the size of the plate on it and it not being square.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I dont see anything mentioned about being able to rotate it and like @Geran said because of the rectangular shape of the heat plate I dont think its possible.

Most Threadripper boards have the socket position led the other way which allows the Noctuas to work perfectly but the EPYC boards are different.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I dont see anything mentioned about being able to rotate it and like @Geran said because of the rectangular shape of the heat plate I dont think its possible.

Most Threadripper boards have the socket position led the other way which allows the Noctuas to work perfectly but the EPYC boards are different.
Thanks for that additional info, I had the 4U version of that Noctua U9 cooler spec’s out for an Epyc 7002 system, but definitely need the air flow going from front to back, especially with the higher heat generated, compared to prior generations with smaller core counts. I guess I’ll swap in that 4U active Supermicro heatsink fan assembly, unless anyone else is aware of other possible options.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
All this talk about high core count CPUs makes me want to replace my 1280v2 setup in my unRaid box :(

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I know you are and I would be increasing it sufficiently if I upgraded mine, I'm just a little jealous.

I just installed Grafana and everything, just trying to figure out why my disks have rootfs in front of /mnt.
Message me about this if it's still an issue. Don't want to flood this thread with unrelated posts.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen

you cann't rotate sp3 /tr4 socket cooler to 90°, because of screws on these sockets are so configured that cooler will not fit on it

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
you cann't rotate sp3 /tr4 socket cooler to 90°, because of screws on these sockets are so configured that cooler will not fit on it
I asked Noctua if there were other options for AMD Epyc 7002 series CPU’s and they had a suggestion:

“Due to the large and rectangular CPU and socket it is not possible to rotate the cooler on SP3 and TR4 motherboards, sorry.”

“A possible solution would be to get the NH-D9 DX-3647, which was designed with compatibility of the SP3/TR4 mounting brackets in mind, even though intended for the Xeon LGA3647 platform. This cooler has a different mounting axis and thus has the airflow in your desired orientation, when you use the NM-AMB7a/b brackets. However, please note that the D9 is taller than the NH-U9 TR4-SP3.”

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I asked Noctua if there were other options for AMD Epyc 7002 series CPU’s and they had a suggestion:

“Due to the large and rectangular CPU and socket it is not possible to rotate the cooler on SP3 and TR4 motherboards, sorry.”

“A possible solution would be to get the NH-D9 DX-3647, which was designed with compatibility of the SP3/TR4 mounting brackets in mind, even though intended for the Xeon LGA3647 platform. This cooler has a different mounting axis and thus has the airflow in your desired orientation, when you use the NM-AMB7a/b brackets. However, please note that the D9 is taller than the NH-U9 TR4-SP3.”

Hmm interesting. So are they saying that as shipped you can install that HSF in an SP3 socket? I'd want confirmation no additional mounting hardware is needed if I was going to go with something like that.

I already bought the SuperMicro HSF though so I'll probably see how that one works first anyways.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Hmm interesting. So are they saying that as shipped you can install that HSF in an SP3 socket? I'd want confirmation no additional mounting hardware is needed if I was going to go with something like that.

I already bought the SuperMicro HSF though so I'll probably see how that one works first anyways.
I don’t think the above referenced Noctua cooler includes the SP3 bracket, but I saw that Noctua sells an AM4 bracket conversion kit for $7 on Amazon that looks like it has the referenced part number/mounting bracket arms. My only concern with this solution is it looks like it may block access to a couple of the ram slots. May have to install heatsink after installing ram or remove heatsink if you need to remove ram. This heatsink appears to be about 10mm taller, so it should accommodate most types of standard server ram.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen

you need extra bracket for sp3 socket.

if you can show your invoice of purchase of intel cooler, then you can get that extra bracket for free. most of the time -;)

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
The NH-D9 DX-3647 appears to concentrate the heat pipes longitudinally at the midline. The Epyc 7002 chiplet layout puts the chiplets out toward the package edges. So, the heat piples aren't where you want them to be. The Supermicro HSF heatpipes appear to be perpendicular to the long axis and would seem better suited for the Epyc 7002 chiplet layout. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

EDIT: Well, if you look at this picture the chiplets are not at the edges so the Noctua option wouldn't be terrible except that each heatpipe is going to cross 4 chiplets and the i/o die but the Supermicro configuration would put each heat pipe across just 2 chiplets and the i/o die would get a heatpipe of its own.

Last edited: