Anyone build or house a server rack under their basement stairs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
I put my server (Supermicro 847 case) on a dolly and rolled it under my staircase between the 1st and 2nd floor temporarily (an unfinished space) when I was redo-ing my garage. For whatever reason, that space attracts quite a bit of dust. I wound up sticking a room air filter in the space to help keep the server insides clean. Try rigging up some sort of air filtration system. Someone above mentioned dust falls thru the cracks in the steps. Maybe that was my issue too. Perhaps sheetrocking the space may help, sealing off any airflow except from the front of the space and then make a door on the front that can hold HVAC style filters. Then put an exhaust fan near the top blowing the hot air out?

I use the AC Infinity stuff for my A/V rack. Works well and very quiet. Looks sharp too.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
I run my rack under the basement stairs.

My suggestion would be (cool) airflow entering from the front bottom of the rack which should push all the heat accumulating at the top out.

I've had ~1200w loads at times and while it did get warm it wasn't critical. Not sure it would sustain at that load though.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
My rack is under the stairs. I did finish that area and seal it with spray foam and caulk. I ran 2 fans. one exhausts air into my mechanical room. The second fan pulls conditioned air through a prefilter.

I purchase and use commercial grade insecticides so have never ran into an indoor bug issue.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
They are SYS-E300-9D-8CN8TP with rack kits. Each are equipped with 1 x Intel DC S3520 240GB Boot Drive and 2 x 1.2TB Intel S3710 SSD's.
just wondering if you have any power consumption figures for those systems in that config at idle ?

XtraLimit

Apr 15, 2019
Here is my 2 cents for this topic.. and yes i have a door aswell and there is at bottom 2 x 140 mm fans blowing in and top there is 2 x 140 mm sucking warm air out..

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I run two 120mm fans off the top exhausts in my wallmount rack, Then run it through a flex tube to vent under my stairs.. anyway. If you Can enclose all exhaust, get a ventilation system flex muffler that dampens the Sound.. that should help on the exhaust part of the setup