Anybody use a server board in a workstation?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Yep, it's the XL. I'll find out how well it fits when the rest of the parts arrive. I looked at the SM case but decided to go with the FD because the SM is a bit pricey. A better solution no doubt but if the FD will work I'm way ahead since I bought it in 2011.
The SM cases seem to be good for functionality but poor on sound and design. Given my setup is for an office space I'm looking at the latter without trying to break the bank.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Yep, it's the XL. I'll find out how well it fits when the rest of the parts arrive. I looked at the SM case but decided to go with the FD because the SM is a bit pricey. A better solution no doubt but if the FD will work I'm way ahead since I bought it in 2011.
The only issue you may run in to is the one that I had putting a supermicro board in my Norco 4220. The mounting hole by the IO ports, upper left looking at the board straight on like it will sit in the case, did not have a hole for a standoff. I used a plastic ATX standoff in it's place and it was fine. Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The only issue you may run in to is the one that I had putting a supermicro board in my Norco 4220. The mounting hole by the IO ports, upper left looking at the board straight on like it will sit in the case, did not have a hole for a standoff. I used a plastic ATX standoff in it's place and it was fine. Micro Center - Computers and Electronics
Yea, I see what you mean. The hole is in the corner. I've got some of those standoffs around here somewhere. Have to dig them up while I wait for the rest of the stuff. Thanks.

Jordan

Jan 26, 2016
TType85: There aren't heat issues running the two E5-2670s in that case? I'm looking to build a similar setup, but I wasn't sure if it would get too hot.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm throwing 3 or 4 tower systems together with 2x E5-2670s

These CPus can safely run HOT, just an FYI, but they stay relatively cool just fine and not loud fans :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Replied to your PM, but will post it here too. Add a Video/Sound card and this would be a workstation.

The board fit perfectly, there are a ton of options for standoffs. The case is a great case but it is HEAVY.
Amazon has it but in white right now. http://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-Silen...qid=1453777764&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+silence+5

Here is the build before I got the Noctua HSF's. 2x E5-2670, 14x 8GB DDR3 ECC, 8x 3TB HDD, 2x 120GB SSD.
This case is on my "wish list" for the next tower case I build! How are you liking it?

Jordan

Jan 26, 2016
T_Minus: Great. The only thing keeping me on the edge is the motherboard pricing, but I may just bite the bullet and grab one.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
After I get these built I'm going to have 2-3 boards for sale within the next 2-3 weeks (they're all 2P boards though).

Jordan

Jan 26, 2016
I'm actually looking for a 2p board anyways. I'd probably grab a z420 off of eBay if I was going to do a 1p build.

Would you be willing to ship to Canada? I saw one on the for sale board here, but it was USA only.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
This case is on my "wish list" for the next tower case I build! How are you liking it?
I love the case. It really fulfills the quiet requirement. The only downsides would be how heavy it is and there could be more room behind the motherboard tray to hide the wiring.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
To chime in here with a smaller lower power server-> workstation build, A couple of months ago I put together a home workstation for a local buddy in an old generic Micro ATX case with a Supermicro X9SCM-F. I just cut the back out of one of the x8 slots to drop in an old midrange gaming card, plugged in one of those Syba USB audio adapters that go on sale for $8 or so at newegg, jumped the BMC disable jumper and turned off the network boot in the BIOS so it boots up faster. It's super-quiet (except when stressing the video card, which doesn't happen much) and his whole family loves it.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bought a x4 to x16 converter. I'm hoping I can avoid having to butcher the MB but will if the converter doesn't work. If all the case cutouts line up with a slot then it won't. The shield plate finally showed up today so now that I have all the parts I can build this weekend.

0dd

Oct 25, 2014
I did this about a year ago with a supermicro dual processor board in a cooler master Cosmos case, i had a minor problem with having standoffs missing in the locations i needed them. I ended up using rivnuts (rivets with threaded inserts) to add additional stand-offs.

Other then that minor hangup i have been very happy with my computer upgrade.

0dd

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Nope. Holes don't line up, not even close. Sent you a pm.

0dd

Oct 25, 2014
for my case the board physicly fit but the holes did not line up. which is why i used a drillbit and rivnuts to add the additional stand-offs..

Jordan

Jan 26, 2016
I found a X9DAi, so I've ordered everything for my workstation. I ordered a Thermaltake Suppressor F51 case for it. After looking at pictures of both, it looks like there are two holes that definitely aren't on the case. Hopefully that will be all. I'll probably attempt to tap the missing holes for the standoffs.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
for my case the board physicly fit but the holes did not line up. which is why i used a drillbit and rivnuts to add the additional stand-offs..
How did you mark where to drill the holes?