Anybody know of a thread that talks about Web Hosting Servers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dan Kb6aok

Mar 31, 2018
I'm new here. Pardon me if this isn't the correct section.

So I am looking to get into Web Hosting. Not as a source of stable income but just as a hobby. Does anyone know of an already established thread that talks about Web Hosting Hardware and Software requirements? Or if you know, can you offer any pointers or advice.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Low end talk , or similar forums. Can’t remember the name right now of the forums that really deals with hosting...

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We have many people here who do this as well. Perhaps start a thread?

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Low end talk , or similar forums. Can’t remember the name right now of the forums that really deals with hosting...
The other you may be thinking of is WHT or WebHostingTalk.

We have many people here who do this as well. Perhaps start a thread?
Agreed.

There's no one size fits all for hosting as it depends on what you're hosting and if it's also hosting static files, database, etc... For instance STH Forum and Main site hosting != hobby wordpress hosting requirements. For hobby hosting/learning a high frequency Intel E3 is great.

Depending on what you're doing or if you're reselling then some software/addons for that:
- cPanel/WHM - Buy cPanel License Activation | cPanel WHM & VPS Licence Reseller
- CloudLinux - cPanel Addons | Order cPanel Plugins and Addon | Buy cPanel
- Kernel Care - cPanel Addons | Order cPanel Plugins and Addon | Buy cPanel
- WHMCS - Hands Free Automation with cPanel and WHMCS

That should get you going.

There's other control panels, management software, etc, just depends what you're used to and who your audience is.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@T_Minus yes WHT was what I was thinking of
@Patrick of course, wasn’t trying to send anybody away, there is a wealth of hosing knowledge here as well.

Just a basic low volume service is really as simple as picking you favourite linux distribution, deciding what other software you want to use assuming it’s not just static content hosted by nginx or Apache, and hardening it.

Something to remember, running ruby or Wordpress instances etc in my opinion brings a whole world of pain with exploits, updates, other security concerns... of course not much today is hosted on pure static webpages.

This is one place I have to say using the framework from AWS, Azure, Google, or the guys like digital ocean and linode can help, they have already some base hardened platforms to start working on.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I’m partial to Digital Ocean myself for “starter” stuff. You get a bare Ubuntu server install that you can configure however you desire. I haven’t really been developing my sites too much so I haven’t yet outgrown the $5/mo droplet yet, but once I do, upgrades are at most a reboot away.

The other advantage is that if I ever grow large enough to justify deploying metal, migration should be fairly straightforward with rsync or similar.

Nizmo

Jan 24, 2018
Should decide what your budget is monthly for your startup.

-Business Grade Internet or better. - 1 Gig up and Down or you'll turn away potential customers imo. "$500/mo for me"
-Speedtest.net host (customers to check your bandwidth
-Webhosting only? cPanel and WHMCS
-Renting VM's?
-Middle manning or reselling OVH services instead of hosting your own bare metal is common too.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Reselling OVH or another dedicated server is a good option.

If you want to learn, you gotta start somehow.