Any virtualmin users here ?

Is it possible to host a storage server locally and have it work with virtualmin and existing ns?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

redrum

Jun 7, 2019
Hello, I've been using Virtualmin for a while and i cant seem to find a forum that is active enough to learn something new.

If anyone has been using Virtualmin for a while on a host like Digitalocean and whatnot, you come to realize that storage space is a problem.

Unless you want to be constantly adding storage space to your machines, causing downtime and more failure points, you need to come up with a better solution..

At Digitalocean storage is 10Gb for 1$ I know you might think that's a sweet deal. But if a basic hosting account you sell comes with 10Gb of storage, you will find yourself adding tons of storage to your droplets daily.

I was thinking to use some old hardware i had 16Gb of ram, i7 4770 and a few tbs of storage to host a Virtualmin server. Although i have one road block it seems, I have no idea if it is possible to make my machine act as a digitalocean droplet. I am using vanity nameservers that resolve to digitaloceans nameserver ips.

If i have a storage server hosted locally at the office, how can i make it behave as if it was part of my network on digitalocean ?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you thinking about doing a VPN to DigitalOcean? Or are you thinking about using a local virtualmin to manage DO?

redrum

Jun 7, 2019
@Patrick I'm currently unsure what path i will take at this moment. I'm looking for the best and easiest way to make it all work together.

The Digitalocean dns seems to always put a roadblock on my path.