Any user-experience of the Cisco 3560CG-8PC-S?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
s-l1600.jpg

Just wondering if this is a good gigabit poe switch? I'm thinking of adding one to my little pretty 'have-beens' collection, although this one is not eol until 2021.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The newer 3560CX has been great. Same switch as the big brother 3560’s except fanless. Can’t speak for the earlier model but use these a lot in small office and to power some access points as well.

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
@Evan , so it appears I need to get one of these sooner rather than later. What is your opinion on the SG300 poe version compared to 3560CG?

From a L3 functionality perspective are both on-par or is one more L3 appropriate? I've looked at the datasheets and the 3560CG uses 24watts at 100% throughput with poe off, and the SG300-MPP uses 38watts with poe off. So it seems the 3560CG is vastly more efficient.

but features count... so.... out of these two models, which is the better L3 switch?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
So the SG300 is a small business switch while the 3560 is an enterprise switch (in a fanless case)
I am surprised by the power consumption !
(And a little saddened as I always think Cisco could do better in that regard)

I don’t have any direct experience with the small business like other than once but I hear they simply do the job, if it was me I would choose the 3560 just because it’s full OS that’s used in enterprise. If the power consumption was revered then I would think twice for home though.

You get 2 more usable ports on the 3560 (12 vs 10), either fiber or copper (but not POE), just have to use an SFP like GLC-T for copper or SX-MM(D) for 1G multimode fiber.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
3560 it is then :)

With I there is a voice which hovers behind me "watch the electricity bill"... have a fair few devices on 24/7 as it is so I try to do what I can to keep things sensible, it's not about the power-bill to be frank, it's simply common-sense really, plus trying to have a low carbon footprint isn't such a bad thing.

I know for less the cost of these devices I could easily pick-up a powerhorse like those X models, but 100watts+ at idle is simply overkill for a hobby tinkerer not to mention the generated BTUs in hot summer requiring more elegant cooling solutions.

Loving my Juniper, so I think this will fit in quite nicely on the other side of the network, plus it keeps that zone all Cisco.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Hmmm... the SG300-10MPP has a switching capacity of 20Gbps, whereas the C3560CG-8PC-S only has 10Gbps.... so that would imply the 3560 cannot run all ports at maximum full-duplex?

Edit: ah, it appears the datasheet only details the switching capacity of the 3560C which is a fastethernet device, and they neglected to include the switching-capacity for the CG devices. Rather odd.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That is odd, I am afraid I really know only the CX newer model but that certainly a proper all ports will work at max capacity switch. Not sure on the exact model but could check the equivalent full size switch as they are as far as I know identical just different case.
The SG300 does pass more packets so maybe it’s better.

The 3560 does run 15.2 so would have guessed with its release date and when it it would not have been a crippled option.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Your advice is spot on, the 3560CG is the way to go, it doesn't have the consumer orientated gui of the SG300 but it does have the full IOS, and half the reason of doing all of this is to learn.

Regarding the switching capacity - they simply neglected to print the switching capacity of the gigabit models, I've confirmed it is in fact 20gbps for the CG models whereas the 10gbps is for the fastethernet C models.

If I was single I'd just get the CX model because this line fits in with my needs perfectly, but I'm not, and justifying enterprise devices for home use is quite difficult as it is. I get a pass from the lady of the manor when I use these three words in the same sentence "professional" + "bargain" + "energy efficient" :D

ps. she'd slaughter me if she knew that just one £100~ tplink device could do everything we need from a functional point, and have it up and running with just a few clicks LOL

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Haha

And basic Cisco is easy enough to learn as well. I don’t know any JunOS so can’t compare but most switch syntax is somewhat similar.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Cisco and HP are pretty similar syntax, JunOS, not so much as I remember, plus as you will get comfortable about where to navigate to when configuring stuff on one platform, it can be a bugger having to re-learn where that stuff is to be found on other manufacturers devices. I find that if you think much more generically, forgetting all about the fancy naming schemes they each have to call things and just concentrate only on what the actual function is that you are looking at or for, it becomes much easier to equate and digest. It also helps if you know the protocols involved or can at least identify them, that way you can narrow down your search quickly for answers in the documentation and online tutorials etc :)

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
One thing I like with JunOS is that half way through typing at the cli it will let you know that whatever you're typing isn't valid... whereas in CIOS you find out after you hit carriage return.

I am getting to grips with the shortcuts in CIOS, ie. using 'do' to run a base command rather than exiting/ending out of the nodes.
I now have a permanent multihomed FTP server where I can quickly backup configs from all the switches, just as a precaution as one never really knows the lifeline of ex-enterprise used devices, cheap enough to get a replacement, not so cheap having to configure from scratch.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Don't forget the tab key and if you get stuck, most commands also have context sensitive help using the "?" key :)

Couple of Tips:
Everyone has a favourite terminal, mine is SecureCRT. If you type "term len 0" at the elevated prompt, before doing anything else, and then go and do any config work, you can then just clear the screen and type a "do sh run", and then copy/ paste the entire config right into a txt file. Also, don't forget to save any config changes you make before logging off with a "(do) copy run start". Typing "Ctrl-Z" will apply whatever command line you have typed and take you right back to the elevated prompt, no need for exiting out a half dozen sub menus etc. There are loads of other shortcuts too :)

Speaking of FTP, you might want to practise backing-up and restoring your firmware too, both using FTP and something like X-Modem using a serial cable, as you never know the moment when a bad keystroke or brain fart shuts the door on your access. Same goes for the password recovery procedure. All of these things are straightforward to do and once you have done it a couple of times it's easy to remember, but you really don't want to have to trial by fire learn that after it all went wrong :D

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Ok, I managed to get one for £100 all inclusive. Now that's what you call a smashing deal :cool:
Arriving on Tuesday. I hope @pricklypunter isn't planning on going away on any long vacation anytime soon :D I'm finding his straight-talking OCD format far more educational than Cisco forums.

Reactions: pricklypunter

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh wow that a really good price, take a good layer 3 Cisco enterprise switch over some cheap generic anyway day.

Latest software should be 15.something ... finding the one that best to run is always ‘fun’ but anyway for the most part I just pick the universal IP services image with all the layer3 stuff but there is also IP lite and special macsec images for these switches. One day I will send some time to really understand how Cisco versioning etc actually works but the docs always list a ‘stable’ version where most people should be on unless needing some specific feature/fix or other.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just tend to grab the latest version, I guess the importance of 'version' kicks in when you're working with certain topologies and loads... for my network I think I'll barely scrape the surface of what these monsters can do, but I'll make damn sure I tinker with all the features... it is what the hobby is all about after-all.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
@Dreece Nice score on the Switch :)

I hope @pricklypunter isn't planning on going away on any long vacation anytime soon :D I'm finding his straight-talking OCD format far more educational than Cisco forums.
I've suddenly remembered a holiday I forgot to take :D

You'll be wanting the K9 versions of firmware, these contain all the crypto goodies. Which leads me on to mentioning that you will want to disable telnet on your terminal lines. Configure these using ssh instead, after you have had a good play on easy street. Homelab or not, if someone can find a way in to mess with ya...

If you have already tried configuring your terminal lines, you might be wondering why you don't see messages on the terminal, but viewable there on the serial console. The answer is that these devices don't have console redirection, or terminal monitoring in Cisco speak, turned on by default. Type "term mon" at the elevated prompt and you should now see messages etc on your terminal lines. Turning it off again, though I'm not sure why you would want to mid session, can be done by typing "term no mon" at the elevated prompt (yes it's one of those ass backwards ones that doesn't conform to the Cisco norm of negation". The terminal lines as well as the console are fully configurable, so you can bake this functionality right into your config.

Following from that would be debugging things when they don't work as expected, but I'll leave you to research the bazillion debug commands, my advice is give yourself a brief over the more interesting ones and then learn the ones you need to learn, depending on what you are doing. There's a million text books for the rest. You will definitely want to learn the "show" commands and shortcuts and modifiers for them, again, there's a subset of goto's that you'll use and a bazillion others that are handy on occasion. TCL scripting is good for sleepless nights :)

If you are into lots of Access Ports, you might also want to look at doing some load balancing. Cisco ios has some neat tricks up its sleeve to help you out in that department. It's fully configurable, right down to the nitty gritty little details, just about everything Cisco is, but the main bits get the job done by and large without too much intervention. The devil is, as they say, in the detail :)

You do know that you'll need to buy another one, so you can play with failover, then you'll need a couple of Routers to get MPLS down, at least one of which will need to be voice capable so you can add those new endpoints and call your wife from the playroom to put the kettle on. This stuff takes on a life of its own, just like getting into playing with Servers ;)

Last edited: