Any Supermicro executives on this forum? Need help with a out of warranty board.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
Hi,

Does anyone know if Supermicro executives are on this forum or have any email addresses for them?

Need help with a out of warranty board.

Thanks,

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you're not at the level where you have an account manager, I don't think they're really going to do much for you. Guessing your motherboard is more than 5 years old? They have a policy of not servicing anything older than that even as a paid service.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Hi,

Does anyone know if Supermicro executives are on this forum or have any email addresses for them?

Need help with a out of warranty board.
Did you contact SuperMicro tech support? They're very responsive, even for people like me (and you, I assume) without service contracts or account managers. Their email address is: support@supermicro.com

I own an X9DRi-F system... what's the problem with yours?

Serverking

Jan 6, 2019
Did you contact SuperMicro tech support? They're very responsive, even for people like me (and you, I assume) without service contracts or account managers. Their email address is: support@supermicro.com

From email (them):

We regret to inform you that the product you have requested is out of warranty and we are unable to approve your RMA request.

However, we may extend our service and offer Out-of-Warranty service for this request if you accept our Out-of-Warranty Terms & Conditions.

For out of warranty service, customer would need to pay for non-refundable diagnostic fee for $45.00/ea motherboard/backplane, $75.00/ea for Systems/Chassis’/Nodes prior to RMA approval. Customer would also need to pay for both ways shipping. After we receive the product, Supermicro Repair Technician will run the diagnostic testing and perform BIOS update, ECO update, IPMI reprogram and basic troubleshooting to duplicate reported error as part of OOW service. If the product is determined non-repairable and need to get replacement, we will return it to customer "AS-IS". The diagnostic fee & shipping expense are non-refundable.

Warm regard,
Gilbe***

Me:

Ok I'm willing to pay the fee and shipping.

Them:

Unfortunately, based on the invoice date which is 5/23/2014, this board is no longer qualified for the OOW service.

Warm regard,
Gilb**

Me:

So nothing can be done?

Them:

Dear Value Customer,

Unfortunately, yes, it is. You can call this phone# below and ask sale team for assistance if you want to buy the new board.

(408-***-****

Warm regard,
Gilb***

I own an X9DRi-F system... what's the problem with yours?
No lights come on, no heat from the CPUs, fans don't spin. socket pins are fine and nothing from IPMI

Troubleshooting:

Have used 2620 v1, 2650 v1, cleared CMOS, used 3 psu, replaced few battery, default all pins, left it over night without any power to drain. used 4 sticks of ram from other servers. Everything is tested on a test bench.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
From email (them):

We regret to inform you that the product you have requested is out of warranty and we are unable to approve your RMA request.

However, we may extend our service and offer Out-of-Warranty service for this request if you accept our Out-of-Warranty Terms & Conditions.

For out of warranty service, customer would need to pay for non-refundable diagnostic fee for $45.00/ea motherboard/backplane, $75.00/ea for Systems/Chassis’/Nodes prior to RMA approval. Customer would also need to pay for both ways shipping. After we receive the product, Supermicro Repair Technician will run the diagnostic testing and perform BIOS update, ECO update, IPMI reprogram and basic troubleshooting to duplicate reported error as part of OOW service. If the product is determined non-repairable and need to get replacement, we will return it to customer "AS-IS". The diagnostic fee & shipping expense are non-refundable.

Warm regard,
Gilbe***

Me:

Ok I'm willing to pay the fee and shipping.

Them:

Unfortunately, based on the invoice date which is 5/23/2014, this board is no longer qualified for the OOW service.

Warm regard,
Gilb**

Me:

So nothing can be done?

Them:

Dear Value Customer,

Unfortunately, yes, it is. You can call this phone# below and ask sale team for assistance if you want to buy the new board.

(408-***-****

Warm regard,
Gilb***

No lights come on, no heat from the CPUs, fans don't spin. socket pins are fine and nothing from IPMI

Troubleshooting:

Have used 2620 v1, 2650 v1, cleared CMOS, used 3 psu, replaced few battery, default all pins, left it over night without any power to drain. used 4 sticks of ram from other servers. Everything is tested on a test bench.
Yikes!
Did the board ever work? Cause it seems to be dead, now.
Did you purchase it recently? If so, return or exchange is your best option from the sound of it.

Serverking

Jan 6, 2019
Did the board ever work? Cause it seems to be dead, now.
Yes it did for ~2 years, was using it as a proxmox setup with x2 2690 v1. After ~29 months of use, cluster was turned off as I moved to 2697 v3 servers. Recently I tired to turn the server back on but it wouldn't start. No lights would come on, fans wouldn't spin etc. Moved board to tech bench and still nothing. Sitting there now.

Did you purchase it recently? If so, return or exchange is your best option from the sound of it.
In 2015 from NCIX.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
That particular board must not be an embedded variant (https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/brochure/brochure_Embedded.pdf). I believe SMC guarantees seven years on parts availability and ten years on warranty repairs. They probably do not have any X9DRi replacement parts available.

As others have said, you can probably find the same board in working condition (or an even better one) for the cost of diagnostic fees. I ended up doing that when SMC refused to process a warranty claim on the basis of a "bent pin" and wanted $125 up front for repair.... just had them ship it back to me and I bought a replacement (non-SMC) for not much more.