Any reason not to go Ubuntu Server 16.04?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Getting ready to start setting up my new Media Server using Dockers and am leaning towards Ubuntu Server. Just wanted to get a feel from others **cough** @rubylaser **cough** out there who are using it whether there are any current bugs or drawbacks to 16.04 that could affect my decision. Thanks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I have have about 12 instances of 16.04 running including upgrades from 14.04/15.10, beta1/beta2 installs upgraded to final and fresh installs post G.A. Some are on metal, many VM.

No issues to report on new installs. Really clean release.

One issue on upgrades. If you are running 15.10 or earlier with MySQL installed the upgrade will fail and leave things a total mess. Has to do with a problem skipping a release with MySQL (IIRC, 5.5->5.7). I'd wait upgrading these systems.

Fresh installs should be all good.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chuntzu and Patrick

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have have about 12 instances of 16.04 running including upgrades from 14.04/15.10, beta1/beta2 installs upgraded to final and fresh installs post G.A. Some are on metal, many VM.

No issues to report on new installs. Really clean release.

One issue on upgrades. If you are running 15.10 or earlier with MySQL installed the upgrade will fail and leave things a total mess. Has to do with a problem skipping a release with MySQL (IIRC, 5.5->5.7). I'd wait upgrading these systems.

Fresh installs should be all good.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Thanks @PigLover!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Getting ready to start setting up my new Media Server using Dockers and am leaning towards Ubuntu Server. Just wanted to get a feel from others **cough** @rubylaser **cough** out there who are using it whether there are any current bugs or drawbacks to 16.04 that could affect my decision. Thanks.
I have setup 16.04 a number of times (and the alpha/beta when they were out). I've finally gotten ZFS on root working but the process sucks compared to Proxmox's built-in ZFS root install.

With the release of Proxmox 4.2 featuring a 4.4 kernel as well. I might just give that a go for my media server and put SnapRAID and MergerFS right on Proxmox. At this point, my main home file server is still on 14.04.4 with a 4.4 kernel installed and the latest version of Docker. I may just wait for a while.

Reactions: PigLover

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have setup 16.04 a number of times (and the alpha/beta when they were out). I've finally gotten ZFS on root working but the process sucks compared to Proxmox's built-in ZFS root install.

With the release of Proxmox 4.2 featuring a 4.4 kernel as well. I might just give that a go for my media server and put SnapRAID and MergerFS right on Proxmox. At this point, my main home file server is still on 14.04.4 with a 4.4 kernel installed and the latest version of Docker. I may just wait for a while.
I'm not really concerned about ZFS as I'll be running this server in a VM on my vSAN datastore.

Reactions: Chuntzu