Any point using an Optane 905p with an all Flash (SATA) array..?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
I have a P5800x, but, I think that'd be a waste ... right ..?

It's data that's backed up such that if I lost the array it'd be no big deal ... just an inconvenience.

In fact, I will not require writes to finish (forgot the setting name).

For consumer SATA SSD drives, they're decent (Evo 860 and Evo 870) ... but they're still consumer SATA drives.

Also ... am I right to think I'd probably exceed the bandwidth of a 10GbE SFP+ NIC .. ?

Thanks

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
The answers to both questions depends on your workload, number of drives, RAID level, and amount of RAM cache.

Optane devices have extremely high random I/O performance and low latency. Using one as a read/write cache (I believe this is what you're asking) could give a performance boost. It also has a PCIe interface which is far faster than consumer SATA SSDs. But it is slower than RAM.

The Evo 860/870 SATA drives have a maximum speed of around 4500 Mbps. So with 2 striped, each on their own 6 Gbps SATA interface, would almost max out 10G Ethernet.

There are a lot of variables - I'd recommend testing it out with your intended workload to see if it's worth it for you specifically.

Reactions: TrumanHW