any PCIe x4 SFP+ NICs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I'd like to add a 10Gb NIC to my main desktop. The motherboard is an EVGA z370 micro in a micro ATX chassis (4 I/O exp slots). My GPU takes more than 2 slots and obstructs the second x16 slot. but I do have a 3.0 x4 slot in the bottom slot. x4 should be enough to run a single 10Gb link (I only need 1), even at PCIe 2.0.

I've been searching but can't seem to find any 10Gb SFP+ NICs with a x4 interface. all seem to be x8. I found an ASUS x4 NIC, but it's 10G-baseT, not SFP+.

I do NOT want to modify the slot by cutting the end open.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
While I believe that by far the better option is what Pradawny suggested, another option could possibly be to use a pcie riser ribbon cable with a low profile card (might be usable from the slot that is obstructed by the GPU).

Docop

Jul 19, 2016
Hi. check LR-Link, 2 port that can support rj45 sfp. A full pci-e 3 running on 4x. You can run 2 port nearly at 10g at same time. Work with mikrotik router and the 10gb hub too.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
You could cut the card instead of the slot. As long as it is a clean cut to the exact pin where x4 ends it will be fine. You technically only need to make a notch for the slot, but its easier to shear all the excess off, especially if a board has components sticking up there like jumpers or chips.

There are a ton of dirt cheap 10G SFP cards on ebay so you could buy extras if you mess up. Like $10 for a mellanox CX2 or whatever.

Last edited: