Any other Plex to Emby migrants?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I use letsencrypt on my web servers, but not on anything at home. I do own a few domains that I have pointed at my house.
You can setup a lightweight letsencrypt docker in minutes to create certs for your domain/subdomains. Once that is done, you just mount the path to the .pfx file it creates to your Emby docker, and you're pretty much good to go. You just select that in the custom cert path and set your domain name in Server > Advanced. Real simple. If you use the reverse proxy in the same letsencrypt docker, you'd just point your NAT rule to 443. If you choose not to use the reverse proxy (I don't because I maintain an alias list of hostnames for my users' access) just chose the https port you want to set remote connections to use and NAT that port to your local Emby port.

Done.

Reactions: rubylaser

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
The only real solution I feel, is to stop the "whine" and write your own code. I get it, that we should not be target as a £$ mining group for a bigger cause. But as long as they do not identify us or me as a private person, It does not bother me, that much.
This is silly. I code for a living. If I had to write code for everything that I have any issues with, I would be dead before I ever finished "replacing" all of the projects that I use everyday. There will always be issues with code, and if people can't voice their concerns without being called whiners, how are things ever going to improve or new features added?

If Plex wants to track data, fine. Just provide users with a way to opt out (that actually opts them out completely). They are logging now. And, since the source is closed, users have no idea what exactly is being tracked or how anonymous the information they are logging on their paying users is. If this information isn't kept super generic, and Plex receives a court order to turn over information about it's users, users should be concerned. I completely understand the communities' anger at this change. This is a complete deviation from how Plex used to operate, and is a valid concern.

Reactions: ecosse

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
You can setup a lightweight letsencrypt docker in minutes to create certs for your domain/subdomains. Once that is done, you just mount the path to the .pfx file it creates to your Emby docker, and you're pretty much good to go. You just select that in the custom cert path and set your domain name in Server > Advanced. Real simple. If you use the reverse proxy in the same letsencrypt docker, you'd just point your NAT rule to 443. If you choose not to use the reverse proxy (I don't because I maintain an alias list of hostnames for my users' access) just chose the https port you want to set remote connections to use and NAT that port to your local Emby port.

Done.
Thanks for the quick notes! I'll get this in place tonight :)

Reactions: IamSpartacus

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Try the turnkey Linux media server appliance. Comes with emby and let's encrypt built in. Was able to get up and running in about 15 mins.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Has anyone, particularly someone that has paid for Emby, tried offline access? They have a server that gets hit to verify the premium features etc.. It sounds like that's all it does, which is fine, but I'm curious how the applications respond if they can't connect. For example, if their server dies like Plex's did.

It sounds like it might disable the premium features, perhaps in the future. Which I don't mind. I just wonder if we're trading one group of idiots for another. I don't want to take the time to migrate just to find they suck too. :)

Thankfully, I have only one TV set up for Plex. The others are still on XBMC, though I was going to migrate them over the weekend. I guess I can set up a new test system instead. I keep meaning to get Docker available, so I guess it's a good time.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I believe it only pings the server when you register the license, not everytime you fire it up. Its in the FAQ I recall.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Has anyone, particularly someone that has paid for Emby, tried offline access? They have a server that gets hit to verify the premium features etc.. It sounds like that's all it does, which is fine, but I'm curious how the applications respond if they can't connect. For example, if their server dies like Plex's did.

It sounds like it might disable the premium features, perhaps in the future. Which I don't mind. I just wonder if we're trading one group of idiots for another. I don't want to take the time to migrate just to find they suck too. :)

Thankfully, I have only one TV set up for Plex. The others are still on XBMC, though I was going to migrate them over the weekend. I guess I can set up a new test system instead. I keep meaning to get Docker available, so I guess it's a good time.
Emby Premiere only applies to the server the first time you enter the key for verification as the key is stored on the server. The subscription will determine the next time it will check in to verify an active subscription (monthly, yearly, etc). Once your server is authenticated, all users who connect to that server automatically inherit premiere status. So the clients do not ever go out to check for premiere status.

Offline syncing works fine from Android. That's all I've tested it with thus far. It's not available in the iOS app yet.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
FWIW, this issue is more of a multiple account issue. In a single account scenario you could skip dns/gateway information on the plex box and then just vpn in for remote access. With the concerns about privacy, has anyone actually submitted a request to Plex to see what the actual detail level of the stored data is?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
FWIW, this issue is more of a multiple account issue. In a single account scenario you could skip dns/gateway information on the plex box and then just vpn in for remote access. With the concerns about privacy, has anyone actually submitted a request to Plex to see what the actual detail level of the stored data is?
MANY people have contacted Plex for more specifics on the privacy policy. Ever since it went into affect Plex has been reading silent.

The problem with the configuration you're describing is the client side. Using Plex clients without logging into them via a plex user account makes the experience a real hassle.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I saw someone ask, but haven't seen an answer. What are people using for clients? Right now, I use Raspberry Pi 1 boxes. I do have an XBox One on the main TV and it looks like Emby supports that.

On the Emby forums, a lot of people push the Nvidia Shield. Nice, but way overpriced, particularly when I would need 3 of them.

It looks like my Pis might work with Kodi as the frontend and the Emby plugin... I'd prefer a more integrated solution though. That's been a nice thing about RasPlex. It just updates itself once in a while, no fuss. Perfect for an "appliance" device.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Both FIRETV and AppleTV are good. I prefer the FireTV remote as it has physical buttons compared to the touch remote on the appletv.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Both FIRETV and AppleTV are good. I prefer the FireTV remote as it has physical buttons compared to the touch remote on the appletv.
If you don't have 4k content then the FireTV stick is good value for money.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Emby is definitely best on Android/Android TV. The Mi Box is the best value ($69.99) for sure.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I seem to recall that one is wifi only. That won't work for me.
If you have a stable wifi signal then streaming will work perfectly. Firetv actually has only a 100M ethernet connection. I've noticed that direct streaming 4k content to plex is smoother when I'm connected to wifi than when using wired with FIRETV. I haven't checked out the differences using Emby. It should be the same. And other set top boxes should also have similar performance.