Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

What MB brand would you buy for your new EPYC Rome P?

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Already 2020 and still no H12SSL available :*( . The only reason I am not interested in the H11SSL revision 2 is the fact that it is missing PCIe Gen4, especially for the M.2 slot. Maybe we also get better VRMs for a 7H12 (or some overclocking?!), or an updated BMC (AST2600)? If it takes another few months to get the board released, I really have to look into Tyan or Gigabyte for my new built.
Agreed, we’re coming up on almost 6 months since the Epyc Zen2 Rome release and Epyc Zen3/Milan is likely right around the corner. I’m starting to think we may never see any additional H12 Supermicro boards for Rome. If I had to guess, Supermicro is likely holding the next round of H12/H13 boards for Zen3/Milan. Very disappointing from Supermicro.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Does anyone use the ASRock Rack EPYCD8? I can only find the version with integrated 10G Ethernet - which I don't have any use for.
For those who are interested: ASRock said they will "deploy" the new ROMED8-2T to the EU around February.

Reactions: TXAG26

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Does anyone use the ASRock Rack EPYCD8? I can only find the version with integrated 10G Ethernet - which I don't have any use for.
For those who are interested: ASRock said they will "deploy" the new ROMED8-2T to the EU around February.
I have the EPYCD8.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I assume you bought it months ago? There seems to be no stock left at all. If I have to buy a board without PCI-E 4.0 it should at least be cheaper than the upcoming versions.
I bought it about 3 weeks ago from Newegg. It must have been the last one they had as it was immediately out of stock after my purchase.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It seems I was a bit too late for the EPYD8 and too early for the ROMED8 :rolleyes:
Gamepc.com appears to stock a few Tyan S8030GM2NE.
Yea I purposely didn't wait for the Rome boards because I don't want PCIe 4.0 right now. It looks like the boards carry a $100 premium and they use more power. By the time I need PCIe 4.0 the boards will be cheaper.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
It looks like the boards carry a $100 premium and they use more power.
I was aware, that AMD's x570 plattform consumes quite a bit more than x470. However, while Rome consumes more power in idle compared to Naples (due to the I/O die), boards themselves shouldn't increase consumption at all?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
The X570 chip itself is quite a power hog mostly due to the PCIe 4.0 controller as far as anyone can tell; it's rated at about 15W as opposed to the X470 which runs at about 5W. Worse is that power saving doesn't seem to work terribly well - the boards still use a lot of power when idling.

Personally I'm running my two Zen2's on X470 boards for this reason - I've no use for PCIe 4.0 in any of my current kit and I wasn't keen on buying a board with such a hungry chipset, as iterations with better idle handling seem to be a way off. The Ryzen 3000 chips are crazy efficient when using the older chipsets (even more so when you experiment with limiting their boost clocks).

(Yes I'm comparing Ryzen when you're talking Epyc/TR but I believe the guts of the chipset/IO die/PCIe 4.0 controller are very similar across both lines, just scaled up from the Ryzen platform)

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
According to Tyan their S8030GM2NE still needs some time as "volume production should be February". Makes me wonder if Gamepc.com truely has those boards in stock.

Last edited: