Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

What MB brand would you buy for your new EPYC Rome P?

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shafarevich

Aug 15, 2019
It appears that you had better avoid Kingston memory modules, as they may use DRAM chips from different suppliers for the same model number, and that can cause problems: RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards

H11DSi will also support Epyc Rome with revision 2.0 boards. supermicro is in testing and validation proces of bios for rev.2.0 of this board.

i asked european tech support.

but now offtopic question...i bought rev. P1.01 of h11dsi for € 320.

now looking for 2666MHz ecc reg dimms of 8 Gb modules. SM QVL memory lists only 3 types of them.

i was wondering whether i can use any model and brand dimm-modules with 2666mhz ecc reg?

or is h11dsi and epyc 1st gen (7551, 7501, 7601) are very picky about memory?

i am going to build 2 cpu's on h11dsi

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
You can probably get away with most DIMMs as long as they are not too exotic. I am also using DIMMs that are not on their QVL.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Just had coffee with the supermicro sales director here, there will be many new offers in one to two months for ROME.
So I better wait for a new ATX board for Epyc that does support PCIE4? The processors do not seem to be available right now anyhow. All shops I see here in the Netherlands seem to indicate that delivery will take weeks. A new H12SSL would than be more attractive

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
So I better wait for a new ATX board for Epyc that does support PCIE4? The processors do not seem to be available right now anyhow. All shops I see here in the Netherlands seem to indicate that delivery will take weeks. A new H12SSL would than be more attractive
I'm waiting for the new board with pcie 4.0 if I'm spending the money.
7302P with pcie 4 slots H12 board for my home lab server replacement.

Reactions: TXAG26

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Same here, I’m not spending this kind of money for the board to not be at least somewhat feature & future-proof.

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
So after all those rumors about ryzen 3000 getting pci e 4.0 support with a bios update and then them backing off of that I assume the same thing is true on the EPYC side? I see the supermicro boards all have bios that support ROME cpus, but say nothing of pci e 4.0

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
So after all those rumors about ryzen 3000 getting pci e 4.0 support with a bios update and then them backing off of that I assume the same thing is true on the EPYC side? I see the supermicro boards all have bios that support ROME cpus, but say nothing of pci e 4.0
Top slot pcie 4 is very different from full board. And if you don't use the latest roms you can have pcie 4 on many x470 boards, but AMD claimed that because every x470 board couldn't do pcie 4.0 in the top slot, none could. (shrugs)

Pcie 4.0 on any slots on epyc boards was never hinted nor expected, in fact AMD was quite clear that new server boards would be required for pcie 4.0 support.

Fake Moth

Sep 18, 2018
Transylvania
The same in my country, more than 2 months or so for ATX and E-ATX H12. Only H11 revision 2 for now - and I will order two of them. And I hate loosing PCIE 4...

Just zoomed the MB in the video with the smooth talking - that is the old H11SSL-NC :rolleyes: Also H11 for the dual CPU MB.

But the prices I got for the CPUs are disappointingly much bigger than expected:
AMD EPYC 32C/64T 7551P 2.0G 64M - 1,459.90$
AMD EPYC (Thirty-two-Core) Model 7502P - 2,842.80$

As for the rev2 Supermicro Motherboard MBD-H11SSL-NC-B - 507.60$

Those are prices without the 19% VAT included. Curious about 7402P, but I imagine AMD will make things very hard for us, as the 32 cores 7551P might be/get cheaper than the 24 core 7402P... So the only thing that will get you to buy a 7402 will be the hype, PCIE 4 and the power consumption.

And there is that ;)

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
They are starting to show non standard form factor boards on their site with pcie 4. I would hope atx versions would be coming soon. I just committed myself to a 7402p so I'm playing the waiting game as well. Any good deals on the 7402p? B&H doesn't seem to have them and that would at least save me tax...

Fake Moth

Sep 18, 2018
Transylvania
Will. Not. Buy. Proprietary. Formats. LoL.
Let me tell you a story. There was once a sysadmin that took over a "datacenter". He enters the server room and looks around:
- IBM, HP, Dell, SUN, FSC server brands;
- if there were two of the same brand, they were literally an 1U and a 2U...
- there were 5 different generations, RAM wise;
- and than the servers began to malfunction;
- it was a nightmare as he worked for a public institution, cheap on money but hard on expectations, and even harder to buy via a public auction a specific part, for a specific server, for a specific brand; services were down - once it happened for a month due to birocracy stuff;
- so he noted this in his mind and never ever bought a brand and built his own custom servers;
- the now old sysadmin enjoys the benefits of freely moving parts, buying whatever brand, as everything is ATX/EATX, standard memories, standard connectors, standard coolers, for example; and he still loves building stuff which is very good for the mind and soul and money and uptime and other people;
- the end :)

More bad news: if Linus couldn't get at the beginning of October an up to date motherboard, we are screwed. Zoom in to notice the H11...

Last edited:

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Exactly. I use 743 SQ whisper quiet chassis.
How do you like the 743 SQ? I’ve been eying that case for a new Epyc 7002 workstation build with a Supermicro H12 ATX board (if SM will hurry up and release specs and plans for H12 ATX/EATX boards). That project is on indefinite hold though, until more news about Supermicro motherboard options is released.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
How do you like the 743 SQ? I’ve been eying that case for a new Epyc 7002 workstation build with a Supermicro H12 ATX board (if SM will hurry up and release specs and plans for H12 ATX/EATX boards). That project is on indefinite hold though, until more news about Supermicro motherboard options is released.
I really like, very quiet.

I use it for storage node
- added M14TQC for OS disks mirrored
- added M28SACB for SAS SSD pool
- 8*10TB disks for data pool, reaplaced 846 chassis with 24*3TB disks
- Optane 900P for slog
- Intel 750 for read cache
- Solaris 11.4

Waiting for H12 ATX board with 7232 to build new ESXi nodes, will use 743SQ case as well.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
So it’s been about 6 weeks since we heard updated H12 AMD Epyc 7002 series boards may be released by Supermicro. Any new news? Any new announcement dates?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Still waiting. I finally managed to get a hold of a sales rep at SM and they had no idea. Since they have the proprietary boards out I would assume it's just a matter of time until the atx version become available. I'm waiting on one myself.

Reactions: TXAG26

risho

Sep 3, 2019
has there been any official confirmation that they are planning on releasing new boards at some point or is it all speculation?