Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

What MB brand would you buy for your new EPYC Rome P?

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fake Moth

Sep 18, 2018
Transylvania
As the title says, does anyone have any info about the new Supermicro motherboards for Rome; pretty disappointed with them launching only servers/storage and such... and no H12 MB?

Or at least a revision for the excellent and very well priced H11SSL-NC? I wouldn't jump into the Gigabyte and Asus boats just yet. As you can see I am looking into the P series Rome, the Naples was great for me and never looked back.

Thanks and feel free to provide inside insights :)

Last edited:

TerryPhillips

May 7, 2019
A hard question I've yet to answer. I've primarily buy Supermicro, but I'm disappointed in their current lack of true Rome MBs. (vs complete systems) My focus is Hyper-V based HCI clusters so Memory, NVMe ports and PCIe slots are the priorities. And from a CPU point of view, it's not always Core qty, but raw MHz too as I have some apps that need pure processing (&memory) speed, i.e., waiting with baited breath for a Rome equivalent 7371... The Gigabyte & Tyan offerings look good, but for different features. So far nothing has jumped out screaming "This is it..." But if I were to buy today, it would be the Gigabyte board. I'm not in a hurry, so we'll see what plays out over the next 3-6 months.

chithanh

Aug 12, 2019
Doing a Google search for
Code:
site:https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/ 7002
currently yields 4 results, three single-socket and one dual-socket mobo in Supermicro's proprietary form factor.
Be careful about Hyper-V, last I checked some features like nested virtualization were still not enabled on AMD platforms.

Fake Moth

Sep 18, 2018
Transylvania
Well the point (public shaming, really) is that on their awesome new website that currently throws all the js errors your ever saw (for a week now), they have a whole "Building blocks" section that doesn't have the... building blocks for the CPU of the decade. What kind of "first to market"(ing) is this?

They should really at least talk about a MB, some future plans, I mean a standard ATX/E-ATX one... don't care for anything else for years now on the server side except flex and such for some embedded/edge devices. I love standard and not proprietary stuff.

This is not the time to be weird like in the Opteron era or play the Intel fan boy... it is the most exciting moment in quite a long while for the data center industry.

(trying to voice myself and maybe other people here willing to throw the money at SM; just give us a target, or the promise of one)

PS: @TerryPhillips I am in a hurry though; both for a university and for myself. Postponed buying for like half a year.

Last edited:

Shafarevich

Aug 15, 2019
As the title says, does anyone have any info about the new Supermicro motherboards for Rome; pretty disappointed with them launching only servers/storage and such... and no H12 MB?

Or at least a revision for the excellent and very well priced H11SSL-NC? I wouldn't jump into the Gigabyte and Asus boats just yet. As you can see I am looking into the P series Rome, the Naples was great for me and never looked back.

Thanks and feel free to provide inside insights :)
Rev2.00 of their H11SSL motherboards will support EPYC Rome, but without PCIe gen 4. I have ordered an H11SSL-i Rev2.00, as the lack of PCie gen 4 is not a concern for my use case.

ButcherMaster

Aug 17, 2019
Rev2.00 of their H11SSL motherboards will support EPYC Rome, but without PCIe gen 4. I have ordered an H11SSL-i Rev2.00, as the lack of PCie gen 4 is not a concern for my use case.
Where did you buy the Rev 2 board ? I called newegg and they only have pre-built board only.

Shafarevich

Aug 15, 2019
Where did you buy the Rev 2 board ? I called newegg and they only have pre-built board only.
I contacted Supermicro's UK Sales Office, and was given a list of their distributors. I then contacted one local distributor, and was able to make an order through one of their resellers. The rev2.00 version has just been out, and it will take about 10 working days before I can receive the board.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I spoke with an official SM sales rep and I was told that after Rome is released SM will be releasing PCI-e 4 boards to match.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
No love for Gigabyte and they are the only ones that seem to be trying...
SM Naples offerings lacked a gpu box and unless they release one this go around they are out of the running on future purchases.

Reactions: ullbeking

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Still trying to keep my hopes up for a more workstation-y dual socket board. Would prefer if it was not Supermicro, but at this point I would probably take any brand.

Jul 16, 2019
Where can I read more about this?

Does this mean their 1st-gen Epyc boards won't support Rome CPU's? Even with BIOS update?

Shafarevich

Aug 15, 2019
Where can I read more about this?

Does this mean their 1st-gen Epyc boards won't support Rome CPU's? Even with BIOS update?
I was told by Supermicro's sales representative that rev2.00 boards support Epyc ROME without PCIe gen 4.

As for Rev1 boards, the bios download page for H11SSL boards contains the following texts:
- "BIOS R2.0 only support MB Rev2.00 with 32MB SPI flash ROM to support both AMD 7001/7002 series processors"
- "BIOS R1.3 support MB Rev 1.01 with 16MB SPI flash ROM to support 7001 series processors only."

So the BIOS that supports Epyc Rome is intended for Rev2.00 boards only. I have no idea whether it means Rev1 boards cannot use Epyc Rome at all. You may need to ask Supermicro to confirm.

Reactions: Hydrogen_Bombaklot
Jul 16, 2019
I was told by Supermicro's sales representative that rev2.00 boards support Epyc ROME without PCIe gen 4.

As for Rev1 boards, the bios download page for H11SSL boards contains the following texts:
- "BIOS R2.0 only support MB Rev2.00 with 32MB SPI flash ROM to support both AMD 7001/7002 series processors"
- "BIOS R1.3 support MB Rev 1.01 with 16MB SPI flash ROM to support 7001 series processors only."

So the BIOS that supports Epyc Rome is intended for Rev2.00 boards only. I have no idea whether it means Rev1 boards cannot use Epyc Rome at all. You may need to ask Supermicro to confirm.
Thanks man, appreciated.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I'm as big a SM fan as anybody else here, but don't you think that waiting to pounce on an immediately released cutting edge version of a board that supports PCI-e 4 plus whatever other features you want is pretty much the definition of "lunatic fringe"? Check out that Lenovo on the front page. That system (yes, it's actually a series of integrated systems) offers many options and configurations, is ready now (?), and is surely at least as good as SM? In fact, given how appallingly SM has been tracking EPYC (3000, 7000, Rome, whatever) since it was released, I'm actually considering avoiding them even when all the hardware does get released. I would love to be proved wrong however...

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Wow, how disappointing regarding Rev. 2 boards. I’d like to know why SM is even messing around with releasing a Rev. 2 H11 board? Why not just add PCIe v4 to the current H11 board and then call it the H12 series to reduce confusion? Also, I could have sworn I saw something on release day about how the new 7002 CPU’s would drop into all the existing 7001 boards. Guess I missed something in the fine print that it required a new revised board version.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Wow, how disappointing regarding Rev. 2 boards. I’d like to know why SM is even messing around with releasing a Rev. 2 H11 board? Why not just add PCIe v4 to the current H11 board and then call it the H12 series to reduce confusion? Also, I could have sworn I saw something on release day about how the new 7002 CPU’s would drop into all the existing 7001 boards. Guess I missed something in the fine print that it required a new revised board version.
I couldn't agree more.

This is one reason why I've started looking into other vendors... Lenovo, Gigabyte, Fujitsu, etc... Not all of them carry AMD solutions, but at least their product ranges aren't mindbendingly confusing.

Jul 16, 2019
I couldn't agree more.

This is one reason why I've started looking into other vendors... Lenovo, Gigabyte, Fujitsu, etc... Not all of them carry AMD solutions, but at least their product ranges aren't mindbendingly confusing.
Any idea if the 1st Gen Gigabyte boards will support Rome?