Any more ideas for my homelab? My server can take a bit more computing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
So far my server at home is running as a file server, torrent server, media server, and random desktop instance. All of this really isn't taking much resources and I feel like I'm wasting the server's potential. I've thought about nextcloud, pfsense, game server, but I suppose I'll need to brush up on networking as I don't really want to get hacked.. does anybody have some more cool ideas on what could be run?

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
I also think it would be cool to run a website. Although just like with nextcloud, game server idea, I don't want to get hacked. I'm not sure where to start on network security

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I would not worry too much about running a website locally. it is better to leave that in the cloud and not have it as a point of being hacked at home.

I would not worry too much about the server not doing much. that is why so many NAS devices have 2-4 core CPU's and low memory. the at home use case is not like it is at work.

My Unraid server is ~ 20% utilization because of the 5 cameras that I capture video with. The rest is really low utilization.

Chris

Reactions: Patrick

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Home Automation and virtual lab like EVE_NG are my main things, besides filestorage.
I also have videocard passed through and connected to my TV, and that makes it nice HTPC.

Reactions: Patrick

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
run a cryptocurrency node(not mining, just full node) for example for bitcoin, ethereum, doge, monero, whatever. they all need support.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I can tell you, I am personally going to be doing a lot more home automation stuff in the new place.

Reactions: itronin