Any info about how to start developing a simple ticket management / inventory system?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tlk1821

Jan 26, 2022
Hello,

I want to try my hand at developing a repair ticket management and inventory system. This would be for a demo project for one of my courses. I have used products like RepairQ and RepairDesk, and this project will have similar functionality to those platforms. I have noticed that different products always lack certain features that I think would be useful, so I want to give it a shot at building one that kind satisfies those requirements.
Any info about how to start developing a simple ticket management/inventory system?

I have coded a couple of simple apps and whatnot, but I've never really taken on something as complicated as this with code, nor do I feel super comfortable doing so. I was wondering if something like this repair ticket platform could be made using something like Quixey (something cheaper, if possible), Zoho, or another one of those app development platforms. I realized these types of platforms have their limitations but they are the preferred solution. The way I would want it is to have it based on a web portal.

That's basically the overview of my idea.

Any advice, thoughts, criticisms, recommendations, or resources will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It's kind of confusing to understand what you're trying to do.

You mention building apps, and developing something and then end it with wanting to use Zoho and essentially build a work-flow into an existing piece of software.

Are you wanting to develop something from the ground up? IE: A back end + app for phone and\or web, or do you just want to be told which platform like Zoho would make the most sense to build custom data storage and work flows into?

tlk1821

Jan 26, 2022
It's kind of confusing to understand what you're trying to do.

You mention building apps, and developing something and then end it with wanting to use Zoho and essentially build a work-flow into an existing piece of software.

Are you wanting to develop something from the ground up? IE: A back end + app for phone and\or web, or do you just want to be told which platform like Zoho would make the most sense to build custom data storage and work flows into?
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I want to try to make a product resembling a repair ticket management system. Admittedly, I'm not super sure where to start. ANY ideas or advice on how anyone might do so would be good information.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I want to try to make a product resembling a repair ticket management system.
With a low code platform?
Or do you want to write all the dirty details in c#/java/python/c++/haskell/[insert favorite programming language here] yourself?

roen

Feb 17, 2022
There are a number of open source projects available that achieve this goal. For instance, take a look at the Awesome-Selfhosted list. Furthermore, it is a bit difficult to answer your question in more detail, as your topic / reply misses details - like whether you want to code everything yourself (and if so, which development / script languages you are familiar with).