Any idea when well get a Denverton successor?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
I've been wanting a Denverton board for my NAS for a while now, but the 16 core option seemed kinda crazy priced.
I was hoping for a new series to offer more cores at the top end, causing the price of the 16 core to come down to a more reasonable amount.

But its been almost two years now, and it seems like Intel isn't going to release anything soon as a direct replacement for Denverton.

They did launch snow ridge with 24 cores, but that hasn't found itself in the same segment as Denverton.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
no idea I guess with Intel so constrained on production capacity it’s just not a priority. They have the new cores available but haven’t heard of any hints about them coming as new product. I am sure something must be on the cards though.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why do you need a 16 core NAS ?

16 cores with less performance than a a 4 Core Intel E3 V3 Xeon... You could get an AMD with more for less $ for sure..

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No, just no.
No to what?

• No to needing 16 cores on a NAS? Yeah, I agree, not needed. Maybe your NAS is more an All in one then?? Dunno?
  • No to 4 cores that are > 16 slow limited cores? Why? need more RAM? If you're spending that $$ could always get an E22xx too.
  • No to AMD? Why? They have low power with more perf than this 16 core but have 128GB limit, do you need >128GB for home NAS? Are you not a fan of AMD ?

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
No to what?

• No to needing 16 cores on a NAS? Yeah, I agree, not needed. Maybe your NAS is more an All in one then?? Dunno?
  • No to 4 cores that are > 16 slow limited cores? Why? need more RAM? If you're spending that $$ could always get an E22xx too.
  • No to AMD? Why? They have low power with more perf than this 16 core but have 128GB limit, do you need >128GB for home NAS? Are you not a fan of AMD ?
No to having to shill AMD with your every breath, i know any argument i make will result in you moving the bar to make AMD look better.

In case you're actually serious.

The C3758/3958 smokes any other x86 CPU in that power bracket, all the while only taking~40w for the whole system including 10G networking.

Or are you like that one guy trying to convince me the 3950x was a better CPU because it had 16 faster cores, and used less power because the 5800U used less power.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No to having to shill AMD with your every breath, i know any argument i make will result in you moving the bar to make AMD look better.

In case you're actually serious.

The C3758/3958 smokes any other x86 CPU in that power bracket, all the while only taking~40w for the whole system including 10G networking.

Or are you like that one guy trying to convince me the 3950x was a better CPU because it had 16 faster cores, and used less power because the 5800U used less power.
Yikes.... No one is shilling AMD but clearly you've been offended in the past when someone has suggested AMD.

Why do you need a 16 CORE NAS? If you're running a lot of drives then why does 40W vs 90W matter, at all?
If you're running 4x32GB because you want loads of RAM that'll be >40W in RAM power-draw alone too.
The overall power of your system will be higher from drives alone let alone drives + RAM... and there are better choice CPU\motherboard when you realize this which is WHY I asked, and brought it up in the first place. Not once did I say "you have to go with AMD it was clearly the better choice".. I actually asked questions to clarify your needs AND suggested Intel + AMD alternatives, more of guesses since I still am not clear why you need a 16 Core NAS.

10G networking is what 7 watts now days? Patrick has a review comparing the popular PCIE choices... not a huge power draw in general when looking at even a 40W CPU let alone CPU + DRIVES + RAM etc...

Either way clearly you know best so I'll stop trying to understand your needs.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Some light virtualization of course is why it would be useful, rdimm’s are plentiful.

new atom cores have been described like this…

offers 40% greater performance than Skylake for the same power. Or the same performance for 40% less power.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Some light virtualization of course is why it would be useful, rdimm’s are plentiful.

new atom cores have been described like this…

offers 40% greater performance than Skylake for the same power. Or the same performance for 40% less power.
Maybe? Maybe not? We can speculate for fun, and throw around ideas for fun... I mean that's what we do here :cool: sooo often lol... but even at 50% off current retail you're buying this for power saving only not low cost + low power, which is why it's important IMO to acknowledge power use and REAL needs. That XeonD setup for $500 (GreatDeal) gives you more compute, same access to cheap RDIMM more networking options, minimal power increase and the 1U\PSU you can sell to recoop some $ and even if you don't sell the parts off it's still cheaper to buy that and yank the board for a build :D For light virtualization you also don't neeeeed 16 cores :D

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
"Light virtualization" for me means four cores are plenty but more importantly peak single thread performance should be very good, because I don't like to wait when I click something. After 200ms the CPU can go back into idle while I take a few seconds to process what I am seeing on the screen. I.e. a 5 GHz 4C/8T-core is best for my case. Those recent Intel chips will also idle really nicely at low power consumption. As opposed to say a Xeon 8128 from ebay. If you compile alot of stuff then 16 cores might make sense. I am compiling ungoogled-chromium and Linux kernels alot for example. So depends all on what you want to do exactly.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You must have missed the Atom C5xxx launch back in Q2 2022?

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I mean something with some actual performance, low power, low heat, reasonable price, available to build in ITX systems, like the C3xxx