Any Home Depot Approved DIY Server Shelves?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Just curious, with my down to the penny server rack build, if anybody has managed to fabricate a solid 4 post shelf using nothing but common parts from your local hardware store that more or less create a bolt together solution.

I cant see the need to pay $50+ for something so basic. I get it for fancy sliding shelves and server rails, but a single shelf? You can buy entire industrial grade shelf kits for that kind of money.

I'll take a stab at it this weekend, but looking forward to any feedback and hints of what to look for before I get there.

The last resort would be some 90 degree metal brackets going directly into some 1" thick wood also with a metal bracket for support, but that requires using wood and cutting. My ultimate goal is strictly bolt together w/ nothing but basic tools like a screwdriver and ratchet.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
one word - lackrack - local Ikea Store...

I had my server under 4 of them (2 as a bottom shelf - 2 as a top shelf using the legs). I just screwed in the rackmount switches to the legs and let the server sit on the bottom 2 shelves.

Chris

Chris

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Just keep in mind depending on what you are mounting and how you are doing it you may need fairly thick metal to withstand equipment weight and the twisting force of things mounted on just 2 posts. You can make things work but a real open frame 4 post rack is worth the cost once you start swapping equipment in and out.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
It is a 4 post rack, for now I got everything to fit, but I'll still go take a look next time I go to the store.