Any guides to setting up IPoIB for ESXI ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
Hello does anyone have any guides to setting up Infiniband for ESXI 5.1 or later (current on 5.5).

I would like to explore this technology more as its a cheap altentive to 10GE but I have not found any good guides out there explaining whats required ect.

Some folks around here talk about requiring a subnet manager as well.

Thanks guys

poto

May 18, 2013
I am also a beginner, but found the infiniband setup reasonably straightforward, thanks to the experts here and on the Mellanox/Vmware communities. Here are some links I found helpful:

Homelab Storage Network Speedup with .... Infiniband - ESX Virtualization
Custom firmware enables Windows 2012 IPoIB RDMA for Mellanox OEM Infiniband Cards - www.openida.com
Does vSphere OFED 1.8.1 compatible with vSphere... | Mellanox Interconnect Community
Infiniband@home : votre homelab à 20Gbps - Hypervisor.fr

There are also many helpful discussions on this site if you search through the 10gb networking threads.

I bought 3ea Mellanox MHRH2A-XSR HCA and qsfp copper cables for around $300 total. These are direct connected between 2 esxi host w/direct storage and backup file server. You install drivers on esxi host using putty/winscp, Win server os has inbox drivers. You can avoid expense of switch by direct-connecting HCA, but you have to provide software subnet manager. If you are using esxi 5.1/5.0, there is an open source subnet vib referenced in the links above that will allow direct connection between esxi hosts - cheap and fast vmotion results. I upgraded to esxi 5.5 because I wanted the >2tb vmdk ability. The open source subnet is not currently compatible with esxi 5.5, but you can also use multi-nic vmotion until a compatible subnet mgr is available for esxi 5.5.
Good luck!