Any Experience with Riverbed Steelhead xx20 series (e.g.3520)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Anyone have any experience with any of these similar old Steelhead models (3020, 3520, 5520, 6020, 6120)? There's a 3520 for sale nearby cheap. I'm trying to figure out if this is essentially a "server" with proprietary Soft/Firmware, or if the hardware is proprietary as well? I've got no need for a WAN accelerator in my home set-up, but was thinking I could upgrade the motherboard & maybe power supplies for use as a server/DAS or similar?

From the exterior pictures & internet documentation I got, it looks like a 3U chassis with 15 drive bays, MATX/ATX motherboard & an LSI controller (I assume SAS1 from the age). But I don't know if the drive backplane has "standard" connectors or if all 15 drive bays are usable (the owner got it with 5 drives installed and hasn't looked inside since).

So I thought I'd ask here before I got in the car and drove 30 miles to take a look at it. If it is mostly non-proprietary hardware, then I figure it could serve as an inexpensive 3U/15 drive chassis.

Update: The drive trays looked like Supermicro, so I checked out what SM was selling 8-9 years ago. It looks like this is based on an SC932/933 chassis.

Last edited: