Any Cord Cutters / HDHomeRun users here?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Thx looks like it's back up now, was down for a bit this evening at one point.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I use hdhomerunviwer Plex and it's works great. I actually use kodi on Windows 10 with plexbmc and kodiplexconnect and the official hdhomerunviwer app with kodi for viewing and DVR functions. I use an Intel nuc at each TV. This combo allows me to use steam, xbox one streaming, hdhomerun whole home DVR all from kodi while using Plex as my back end. The nics are the i3 version with ir built in. It's pretty slick and I have irule as the touch screen remote, but it turns out my wife and I find it easier to use xbox 360 controllers and the pc wireless dongle to control everything as it's a bit more simple. We love this setup and will scale to 4k very well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: wsuff and rubylaser

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I use hdhomerunviwer Plex and it's works great. I actually use kodi on Windows 10 with plexbmc and kodiplexconnect and the official hdhomerunviwer app with kodi for viewing and DVR functions. I use an Intel nuc at each TV. This combo allows me to use steam, xbox one streaming, hdhomerun whole home DVR all from kodi while using Plex as my back end. The nics are the i3 version with ir built in. It's pretty slick and I have irule as the touch screen remote, but it turns out my wife and I find it easier to use xbox 360 controllers and the pc wireless dongle to control everything as it's a bit more simple. We love this setup and will scale to 4k very well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
The issue for me is that my clients are all Roku's and HDHRViewer apparently doesn't work well on Rokus.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Anyone else having issues getting this to work recently. My sh|t is 'the broke'

Just give me 'There was a problem playing this item' when I attempt to play a channel through plex web interface.

Env info:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
PMS plexmediaserver_0.9.17.3.2239-fe07491_amd64.deb (latest)
HDHRViewerV2.bundle.0.07a.zip (tried 0.0.7 as well, no luv)

I can still conn to HDHR via VLC, Firefox via HDHR IP/channels guide, phone used to work last week, now tits up. RasPlex and HDHR through a chrome browser no longer work as well.

WTF?

GRRRR

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Anyone else having issues getting this to work recently. My sh|t is 'the broke'

Just give me 'There was a problem playing this item' when I attempt to play a channel through plex web interface.

Env info:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
PMS plexmediaserver_0.9.17.3.2239-fe07491_amd64.deb (latest)
HDHRViewerV2.bundle.0.07a.zip (tried 0.0.7 as well, no luv)

I can still conn to HDHR via VLC, Firefox via HDHR IP/channels guide, phone used to work last week, now tits up. RasPlex and HDHR through a chrome browser no longer work as well.

WTF?

GRRRR
Not using HDHR at this time but my guess is something in 0.9.17.3 broke HDHR Viewer. 0.9.17.3 just came out today so my guess is the HDHR Viewer developer will need to release a patch for it.

0.9.17.3 has a lot of fixes/changes to the Plex transcoder (many of which I've been waiting weeks for) so I'm not surprised there are issues.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Downgraded to plexmediaserver_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475_amd64.deb, latest HDHR plugin working again, definitely a PMS update issue.

Uggh

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Downgraded to plexmediaserver_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475_amd64.deb, latest HDHR plugin working again, definitely a PMS update issue.

Uggh
That's too bad. I've been waiting a while now for these transcoder fixes since I made Plex aware of them last month so I'm happy about the new release. Luckily I don't have an HDHR yet to worry about.

Reactions: Chuntzu

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
I'm with Sleyk, HDHR prime + WMC 8.1
Waiting to see how Silicon Dust's DVR app turns out, hoping to switch all DVR/TV over to Nvidia Shield's

Reactions: Chuntzu and Sleyk

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
If you're expecting things like a grid guide, I wouldn't hold out too much hope unfortunately. They haven't even gotten (IMO) the most critical feature working, the recording of copy-once content (like HBO etc).

m0bilitee

Dec 1, 2015
Old school HD Homerun for me, with MythTV as a back end which has existing in one shape or another for eons (started with Hauppauge cards, then a PCI HD card, etc). I use Kodi as a front end on Linux, a Windows 10 old laptop for an HTPC, and on MacOSX as well. I did a p2v of the back end MythTV box late last year, moving it into my new lab as a vmware guest. Prior to that I was using Myth as a frontend as well. I still use the frontend on Linux for scheduling recordings, as I've botched up the web interface along the way. It works, come winter I'll clean it up.

Love the HDHomerun, it's so much better than dedicated cards.

Reactions: Sleyk

mumford

Jun 25, 2016
two HD Homeruns with MythTV on Arch Linux Server and Arch Linux MythTV playback clients. Working fine for 6 years now. I do all my scheduling using the MythWeb HTTP interface.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Yeah I have two of 'em. Total of 6 awesome tuners. I am just saddened by WMC not being supported by Shit-crosoft anymore. I did get a small puff of hope before though as I saw they did isolate a download for WMC in Windows 10. It supposedly works, but as you'd exppect, the recording function doesn't work. Also, frequent crashes from what I hear, but maybe with alittle tweaking, it can do.

I am actually thinking about going to Win 10 (I know, horrible right) and just using another small hp business machine for recording. I think I have 1 or 2 dc7900's lying around. I would just install Win7 or 8.1 on it, and assign like 3 tuners to it, and let that be a separate recording box. If the Windows 10 WMC download works, at least I can watch TV on that, whilst the small low power recording box that has Win 7 or 8.1 on it records and encodes for me quietly in the background. Might work.
The latest version of the Windows 10 WMC package has nearly all issues resolved. I think it works fine if you don't use extenders.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Really? That's awesome. I didn't know. I think I had grabbed an early release. I will dig around for it as soon as I get home. Any version number/release date code?

Would be awesome to get WMC working on Win 10. Thing is, I don't really need Win 10, as I can stay on 8.1 to watch and record TV, but I am curious about Dx12 and I wanna run some Win 10 only games like Quantum Break. If I can get this working, I wouldn't have a major reason to not go to Win 10, and I just might consider upgrading my htpc.
This post over at MDL should have the latest version, this is where it's maintained as well: [DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

You have to register to view the download link though

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
OhhhMaaaGoodnesssssss! :-D Nice!

Testing 123...testing

Does this mean no more HDHR channel app/hack needed? Native HDHR integration?

Looks like NICE HDHR discovery/integration for recording/DVR functionality but HELL if i can find out so far where you can simply watch a live OTA TV show w/in the added functionality.

Last edited: