Any comments/recommendations on hard drive RMA policies?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jtlarson

Apr 7, 2011
I've only done RMA's with WD and Seagate recently. Are hitachi and Samsung similar, or are there significant differences that are worth considering before I purchase some new RAID drives??

Do they all offer some sort of advance replacement?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
WD and Seagate are the best. I have only done one Hitachi, but good news is that if it dies after 6 months there is a good chance it may use the WD RMA process. Advance replacement is a procedure most of these companies will do if you have a credit card and a legitimate need. I have never done the Samsung RMA so I cannot comment there.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I have had a good RMA experience with WD, Seagate, and Hitachi. WD typically being my favorite; although i did have a really bad RMA experience with WD as well, but lets assume that is an anomaly :)

No experience with Samsung

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
So far for me, having dealt with Maxtor, Seagate, and WD. I have had no issues with Seagate and WD. Seagate I like the best.

Of course, Maxtor was bought by Seagate a long time ago, but I thought I would mention it.

halkx

May 21, 2011
Hi all

I have dealt with WD, Seagate and Samsung but not Hitachi (maybe that says something...)...I haven't had any problems with any of them...and I believe that Hitachi will be the same (for the time they will exist as a separate company that is...)

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Update for an old thread.

HGST won't do advance replacements for their enterprise drives. I need to RMA an Ultrastar He8 and their Support told me they don't do advance replacements for Hitachi drives, even with a credit card deposit.