Any cheap options for 2 drive mirroring compatible with ESXi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

paulpthcom

Jan 5, 2013
I'm working on setting up my new NAS/All in One ESXi box and want to get the ESXi datastore mirrored.

Current setup is X9SCM-F + IBM M1015 in IT mode passthrough-ed to one of the VMs.

I had ASSumed that I could just mirror the datastore using the built in intel RAID mode, but since that's not supported I wonder if there's any other cheap options?

The cheapest solution I can find is just to get another IBM M1015 stick it in IR mode and use it to connect up the 2 drives. Seems wasteful for just 2 drives so just checking to see if someone has a different option.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The cheapest is to do nightly backups with something like ghettovcb to a secondary disks.

paulpthcom

Jan 5, 2013
The cheapest is to do nightly backups with something like ghettovcb to a secondary disks.
Thanks for the reply. The problem with something like ghettovcb (other than it not being supported anymore) is that it doesn't seem to be able to backup a running VM that uses a passthrough device. At least I sure can't figure out how that'd work.

I'll backup the passthrough enabled VM within the VM, but restoring that would be a pain, much rather have backups and RAID.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Pretty much all backup methods use snapshots to copy the image from beginning to end without having changes written during the process which would cause corruptions. Maybe a Linux VM is best backed up when installed on an LVM volume, you can snapshot within the VM then.