Another video editing build with questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
This time I'm building my wife an editing system for 4k\5k video h.264\h.265 with adobe premiere. Footage will be from mirrorless and gopro9s.

The current hardware plan is:
- Intel E5 v3\v4 SuperMicro Motherboard w\onboard SAS3 (and single x16)
- E5-2670 V3 (just because it's installed, likely swap to E5-2667 v3 I have here already)
- 16GB x4 (I could go to 32x4 but unsure if that's needed)
- 2070 Super (for now 1070 TI)
- 4x 2TB Intel NVME (work drive)
- 6-8 ?TB HDD (other footage, b-roll, resources, etc \ archive will be on NAS)
- 400GB Intel SSD for OS\Boot

The videos will be 20-35m in length final cut but the footage to create this will be a weeks worth so anywhere from 10hr-30hr raw.

Any suggested changes, 128 vs 64GB RAM, etc? Should I use a 2 CPU system instead?

Would storage spaces be sufficient for this or should I use hardware raid for the HDD and storage spaces for the NVME only?

Would I get any performance boost using an optane for a scratch disk in premiere?

Can I run windows10 for this or does it HAVE to be server?

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
While I can't provide too many suggestions to most of your questions, there's no reason you couldn't run Windows 10. I can't think of any reason you'd want to run Windows Server for a build like this actually.

Reactions: T_Minus

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Would storage spaces be sufficient for this or should I use hardware raid for the HDD and storage spaces for the NVME only?
"it depends"
Hdds as mirrors? Yes.
Hdds in parity pool? No. I read here in the forums that the server 2019 implementation got better but is still much slower in writing workloads than hardware raid.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
"it depends"
Hdds as mirrors? Yes.
Hdds in parity pool? No. I read here in the forums that the server 2019 implementation got better but is still much slower in writing workloads than hardware raid.
Happen to have that thread URL?

I'm also wondering if write performance is relevant if I'll be copying from memory card (USB) to the HDDs.