Another "Too good to be true?" OEM e5-2670v3 @ $262

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Service levels on large accounts can be pretty amazing.

Back when I was a customer (an employee of a very large multinational company with service contracts) the time between putting the return in the box once receiving the new item could be very long without anyone saying much of anything about it.

When an item is requisitioned on a service contract it gets sent. Loss of time/downtime are part of the SLA. Paperwork mostly gets done in batch on the back. The accountants will catch up with it but it could be at year end or quarter end before a gap is noticed and then unwinding the mismatched billing between the customer and the provider could take another month before the gap is attributed. Then the Provider has to decide whether to eat the loss or find someone willing to pursue the lost revenue even if the butthole defrauding them is using his/her real address in the same country or down the street.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
It probably depends on the business but most things are 'mission critical', rightly so and otherwise, I doubt Dell would require a CPU or hard drive to be sent back in the event of a 'failure' since they're pretty critical components, you either have complete machine downtime or an array that's on the brink of tossing data out the window. No time to dilly dally with sending parts back.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Wasn't thinking about SLA issues. More to the point, wasn't thinking the was people think when trying to take advantage of "the system".

I just spent a while looking at this sellers dozens of other listings for new parts/systems/etc., and it appears to me that they are either legit, with drop shipping/direct order transfers, or the most brazen scam I have ever seen.

Ya'll both have good points-- but for small, easily scammed, high value parts, I am surprised they don't want them back... If for no other reason than to pass the loss back to Intel. (And ideally figure out why the item failed from a product improvement perspective?)

BUT, you're right-- I am looking at the tree when I should be considering the forest, instead.

@frogtech- my order tracking shows delivery tomorrow by end of day. I'll let you know what shows up.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Wasn't thinking about SLA issues. More to the point, wasn't thinking the was people think when trying to take advantage of "the system".

I just spent a while looking at this sellers dozens of other listings for new parts/systems/etc., and it appears to me that they are either legit, with drop shipping/direct order transfers, or the most brazen scam I have ever seen.

Ya'll both have good points-- but for small, easily scammed, high value parts, I am surprised they don't want them back... If for no other reason than to pass the loss back to Intel. (And ideally figure out why the item failed from a product improvement perspective?)

BUT, you're right-- I am looking at the tree when I should be considering the forest, instead.

@frogtech- my order tracking shows delivery tomorrow by end of day. I'll let you know what shows up.
Can't wait to hear about what shows up!

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Reveived a box containing 3 (not 6) e5-2670v1 (yes, v1) processors- they appear to be new (I only opened one box, did not break the seal on the ESD bag), but the boxes have the UPC for a V3 processor on the sticker (as I had verified from the auction) with the V1 description on the same sticker.

EDIT: The one I opened was an SR0KX, in case there was any doubt)

Interesting that they shipped three, and the subterfuge on the UPC- this is not an RMA scam or anything like that, the deliberate mismatch of UPC to the wrong product? I'd say that's the seller.

Wish I could see the pins/lands on the chip (covered by orange ESD bag sticker) to see if it is really new or not.

I'll bet we start seeing more fraud like this... since naming conventions are all so similar ( no V at all, V2, V3...)

EDIT: [I made sure to take video of opening the box, in case they try and dispute what was actually sent. You may want to do this as well...]

Now, the other question is, why did they only ship 3... cause they knew they were going to get them back?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
That's honestly kind of hilarious. Are they Intel boxes? Send your correspondence right away to the seller, I wonder how they will respond.

The correlation to you getting 3 might be their way of how they can say "you got v3 E5-2670 processors" as if they can somehow make the claim that v3 = x3...lol...like a quantity of 3.

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
... If it sounds too good to be true... ;) Although the 65USD V1 2670's are fairly obscene. I need to find some more junk to sell so I can buy another handful.
I bet they did this so that they didn't have to get rid of the E5-2670s at 65 bucks a pop, but idk, I don't see how anything they're doing is in their favor.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
They are "somewhat official looking brown boxes", with a V3 UPC and a V1 description- at least, a quick search of the UPC showed a couple sites w V3 listed as it.

I'd take a pic, but on a call and slammed w work at the moment.

Already sent an eBay return note, basically asking them how badly they wanted me tl leave "bad" feedback instead of "FRAUD" in all caps. How's that? :)

From the note on theior packing slip, "DISC PROD REPLCMNT PRT SEE NOTES" (no notes), I'd say this looks to me like they deliberately swapped it out. Bad assumption on my part? Maybe- but looks to me like a deliberate bait & switch.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Agree w both of you.

@Robert - LOL!

The funny part is, I could actually use a pair of V1's-- but I'll get them used @ $65, not 250+ each :) And I'll buy from someone advertising them as what they are. (Of course: If a true bait and switch, I'd have expected them to send all 6, so that I could not easily demand a 50% refund on items not yet shipped.

RE: the box: It doesn't say Cisco anywhere on it- it COULD be a cisco browen box, heck, I dunno.

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
The 2660 i ordered is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'll make sure to keep everyone updated when the package arrives and keep a video of the whole thing as I expect similar results.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
They responded to my ebay return note, and said the other three are coming from a different "manufacturer authorized distribution center" (d/t arrive Friday), basically asking for a pic to investigate any listing error/issue (if they are out of stock, how the heck are they going to do that?), and told me I could call FedEx and refuse the second package at no charge, if I wanted to.

I think they are very likely the same, but am going to let it arrive (cost to return 3 vs cost to return 6 should be negligible difference, if I have to pay for it), and who knows.

I looked at the 2660 link/relisting, and the lenovo part number is clearly the V3-- but the part I received did not match the Cisco part number listed... so I'd say they're going to claim "listing error".

You can't blame folks for buying, if they put it out there at a low price- but delibberately mis-listing? that's just wrong. I also see a number of servers with catchy titles (good procs, 32GB ram, raid noted - the one that caught my attention was a DL380p e5-2660v3)m but in the details, they are clearly containing the -2603, and 8GB, etc. I'm sure those are "listing errors" too... which is why they didn't return my ebay message asking about for clarification-- nor did they remove it. (Of course, I'm not sure how many people would impulse buy a whole server without checking the description... but who knows. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.)

I'm curious to see what will show up on Friday, but I'm betting it will be the V1 chips.

Let me know how you guys fare- I'm curious!

Attachments

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Honestly, your case is made right there, the label perfectly says 8 core processor but the listing explicitly said dodeca(12 core) cpu. Done deal.

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
Update on the E5-2660's. Same issue you guys are seeing with the 2670's.

The packaging and packing slip indicate a 2660 V1, but the UPC comes up as a 2660 V3.

I've begun the return process and we'll see how it progresses.