Another "Too good to be true?" OEM e5-2670v3 @ $262

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Define obligation. No one is going compel them to take a loss.
Firstly, I wondered if there is an EBay rule that says you have to honour what you list??

Secondly, EBay bangs on about accepting a 'legally binding contract' to purchase goods you wished to buy, hence is there a requirement that under 'contract law' that the party (seller) needs to meet their side for the deal (contract)???

I was just wondering what the obligations are for seller in this instance, especially if there is not stated 'I'm not responsible for errors and omissions' on sellers page?

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
In my experience ebay doesn't force sellers to go through with egregious price mistakes. Nothing stopping one of the buyers from filing in small claims court but I have no idea how it would go.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
In my experience ebay doesn't force sellers to go through with egregious price mistakes. Nothing stopping one of the buyers from filing in small claims court but I have no idea how it would go.
My thoughts exactly, I'm sure there is some clause in the seller ToS somewhere but I really doubt it's ever enforced, a seller could practically say anything to get out of fulfilling something like this.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Since I would go in knowing it was a pricing error, I wouldn't expect him to honor it but if he did, I'd be cool with that too.

Lucanne

When you "take a chance" on these kinds of long shots do you end up getting stuck for the price of return shipping?
It depends on the seller. This is the official policy of this specific offer: "Shipping fees are not refundable. If a return is made of an item that shipped with free shipping, the normal shipping charges for the shipping method used will be deducted from any refund. Substantiated claims of defect, damaged, or "not as described" are eligible to receive waiver of this original shipping fee." (from their ebay shop)

But usually you won't have to pay!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Anyone gotten their request approved yet? I find it kind of dumb that we have to wait on their RMA to get approved.

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
I received my return shipping label this morning. No luck on the replacement attempt, but was worth a try.

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
If someone really wanted to mess up these dropship sellers they could wait 4-5 months before filing the claim, by that time their vendors won't be accepting RMAs anymore but ebay/paypal will force the return. Or maybe just hint to the seller that this is your plan if they don't honor their price mistake...

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
The issue with that approach is that you can only initiate a return within 60 days of purchase on Ebay... ;

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Not to keep dredging this thread up... But... This is too good not to share. New definition of irony:
Dear <removed eBay id>,

Congratulations on winning 381516919578 - Cisco Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 Dodeca-core (12 Core) 2.30 GHz Processor Upgrade on eBay Fixed Price US!

We’d appreciate you rating your experience with us on the eBay Fixed Price US Feedback Forum.

Please use the following link to access the auction, then locate the Leave Seller Feedback link to leave us your comments.

Have to love automated systems. The LAST thing they want is my feedback.

Would anyone like to help me write this? (For AFTER my refund is processed!)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
But Paypal now allows up to 180 days(!) for "significantly not as described" disputes...
Any tips how to initiate a refund for 'significantly not as described' with PayPal when you purchase goods outside EBay?

Many thanks

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Any tips how to initiate a refund for 'significantly not as described' with PayPal when you purchase goods outside EBay?

Many thanks
Did you use a credit card to fund the purchase? If so it's best to initiate a payment dispute if the seller isn't being cooperative. Aka, chargeback. I'm assuming this isn't related to the CPU in thread title?

izx

Jan 17, 2016
For any transaction, even the ones where Paypal tells you to dispute via eBay, log into your Paypal account and go to:

Code:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_complaint-view&amp;nav=0.5
Then click on the Report a Problem button, which may be under the Report a Problem tab on that page.

Find the transaction, expanding/going backward in time as necessary, and start the dispute process.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
Aka, chargeback.
Be careful about initiating chargebacks if you also use that Paypal account to sell/receive payments. Paypal can sometimes get testy about them and mess with your account (longer holds, etc.).

Also, as a reminder, chargebacks must be initiated within 60 days of your credit card's statement date. Some banks may allow you to do so up to 90 days, but YMMV.