Another LACP question about 4GBE and 2GBE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

payload123

Sep 7, 2014
Hi,

So have been reading so many thinks about LACP,Trunking,Teaming,Bonding or however you want to call it. The big internet gives me two answers

4GBE is 4 x 1 GBE meaning it won't surpass 125 Mbps, because it can only use a single link.
This means its great for the Server/Nas that is being access from multibel users, now it can utilise the full capacity of the links, in Theory 475 Mbps.

Some people say they Bonded,Teamed or Trunked the connection into a single link.
For example from 4GBE NAS > Smart switch > Quad nic in any pc.
and get the maximum speed 475 Mbps, of course in reality transfer speed wil be slower.

Both scenario's are good but i am particularly interested in the last.
As a last resort i could daisy chain a Server to desktop with secondhand 10GBE nic's,
but that is pretty overkill.

Thank u for your time reading this, i always like to learn!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
The old faster-single-lane highway versus wider-slower-lane-multi-highway tends to prove that 10gbe is less headache in achieving maximum performance. Go for 10gbe - it is less headache!

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
It depends on what sort of transfer method you pick. Multipath enabled ones can leverage the multiple links in a p2p setup. NFS and Smb however are not, unless you want to check out the more expirimental stuff like multipath TCP.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
The latest version of SMB that ships with Windows 8 and Server 2012 does support multipath.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You are right. Unfortunately, it's proprietary.
Not exactly. Its not "proprietary" in the classic sense - they've published the SMB3 spec are do not require license to implement to it. But its also not "open source" in the sense that they didn't release the code under GPL.

The Samba project is working on an implementation. Slowly...its not a priority for them.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Not exactly. Its not "proprietary" in the classic sense - they've published the SMB3 spec are do not require license to implement to it. But its also not "open source" in the sense that they didn't release the code under GPL.

The Samba project is working on an implementation. Slowly...its not a priority for them.
Whatever is classifies as, it's clear that operability beyond what we have now is not really a priority for Microsoft either. A shame as it would fill the multipath file transfer gap.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
I am not sure what you mean Mike? MS is providing multipath right now and even documents its spec so others can code solutions that interoperate with it. Short of MS writing Samba they really can not do much more. I love linux but MS does good work too.