Another internal 8TB deal $179.00, Seagate this time.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cadal

Jul 8, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I have one (for external backups) assuming SMR archive drive..

Slow as for writes, okay for reads, not recommended for nas usage.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
SEAGATE...blek...argh, no! The only place I have 1 single SeaGate in use is in a tripple mirror, LOL!! Well, and some 15K SAS but that's a bit different level :)

I honestly was going to try them again after hearing years of nothing but negatives when everyone here started getting those cheap 4TB 2.5" then it turns out people are having trouble with them, low performance and just issues... At this point I can't come up with any reason to buy a Seagate unless it was 50% off other drives and going in a Raidz2 or 3 setup!

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
These cheap drives, especially the 8TB Archive drives do have their uses such as BURST mining and cheap backup spinners.

The Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB model has these and also if you are in a country where your trading standards legislation does not suck, you can get a replacement free of any charges including delivery within a "reasonable" time. In the UK this is up to 6 years. By the time the drives fail (anywhere between 3 months to 6 years) there will be more reliable models available to anyone who returns a Seagate or any other manufacturer's drive.

If you're across the water in the USA you're out of luck for any retail protection outside the manufacturer's relatively short 1 or 2 year warranty (usually but some offer 3 to 5 years warranty on some drives and few retailers have a decent returns policy). They really aren't worth the risk to anyone in the USA, Canada or any other country where trading standards legislation is lacking any form of decent consumer protection.

For the UK and European countries with legislation worth the paper it's written on, go right ahead and grab a load when they are cheap and use your knowledge of the law and the RETAILER'S responsibility (do not approach the manufacturer under any circumstances even if the retailer tries to pursuade you to, even for the manufacturer warranty!) to take advantage of your rights under law to seek immediately remedy of either a repair or replacement free of any and all charges. BURST mining and Storj sharing should be fine even if these drives fail. For backup purposes though, make sure you have redundancy.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I have a couple of Seagate sata consumer drives from free pc's that were given to me, both 7-10 years old under 1 gig in size that still are doing good.

I actually have never bought a new Seagate drive ever. LOL

Yea and i'm aware of the reputation but I thought some might be interested just in the price.

Reactions: T_Minus

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I would be curious to hear of the issues with 2.5" 4tb drives.
There's a thread a bunch of us posted on about these devices. Long Story Short: Great Reads. AWFUL WRITES. They are designed to be backup drives for a reason.

Now the 5TB 2.5" 6GB/s drives are BEAUTIFUL and there's a reason they are $200. They work a bajillion times better (that's a measurement btw) and don't suffer the awful read/write lag in a RAID array that the 4tb's do.

Reactions: T_Minus

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I got in on the WD deal so not tempted by this one. :)

ruffy91

Oct 6, 2012
Switzerland
Now the 5TB 2.5" 6GB/s drives are BEAUTIFUL and there's a reason they are $200. They work a bajillion times better (that's a measurement btw) and don't suffer the awful read/write lag in a RAID array that the 4tb's do.
Aren't those SMR drives and suffer from awful writes after a few GBs?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Aren't those SMR drives and suffer from awful writes after a few GBs?

Those are the 4TB's with the horrible writes, the 4TB's were designed for internal USB enclosures.

The 5TB's have no such problem. I have a mix of 4TB and 5TB disks in my Storage Space array to test. I can tell immediately when I am on the 4TB's vs the 5TBs as I'll peak upto 150MB/s and crash to 8 after a few minutes.

Seagate 5TB BarraCuda 5400 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Laptop Internal Hard Drive ST5000LM000-Newegg.com