Another Cheap 10Gb Switch Option (Netgear 4 x SFP+ and more)!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
These support Jump frames?
Yes, jumbo frames are supported.

I just did the switch over last night with no issues. vMotion and the overall speed of my vSAN is wicked fast now, so I'm very glad I went with these switches. vMotioning my vCenter appliance that hogs 12GB of ram used to take 3-4 minutes to complete and would drop connections during the process. That has now been reduced to under a minute without any connection issues. After placing both the gigabit and 10gb links on the same network, my dropped datastore errors went away. I currently have it set up so that the 10Gb links are on the master switch of the stack and the gigabit links are on the secondary switch. That way, if one of the switches dies, I still have I/O connectivity to the vSAN.

The next step is to bring on board my file server and main desktop rig. Once those come up, I'll post up some benchmarks between them.

lundrog

Jan 23, 2015
Minnesota
vroger.com
Yes, jumbo frames are supported.

I just did the switch over last night with no issues. vMotion and the overall speed of my vSAN is wicked fast now, so I'm very glad I went with these switches. vMotioning my vCenter appliance that hogs 12GB of ram used to take 3-4 minutes to complete and would drop connections during the process. That has now been reduced to under a minute without any connection issues. After placing both the gigabit and 10gb links on the same network, my dropped datastore errors went away. I currently have it set up so that the 10Gb links are on the master switch of the stack and the gigabit links are on the secondary switch. That way, if one of the switches dies, I still have I/O connectivity to the vSAN.

The next step is to bring on board my file server and main desktop rig. Once those come up, I'll post up some benchmarks between them.
There is a reason I normally don't quote switches that seem to be to good to be true. I have had fairly good luck with the Cisco SMB lineup however for lab or dev environments.

csmz

Jan 28, 2015
I am trying to understand the logic of using 1g switches with 10g SFP uplinks in the "about a grand" pricepoint when you can go all out 10gbase for a similar price. Considering the 10G nics are also just around 60$ each including transcievers, I fail to see the usecase for spending a grand in lowrange 1gbase switches.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I am trying to understand the logic of using 1g switches with 10g SFP uplinks in the "about a grand" pricepoint when you can go all out 10gbase for a similar price. Considering the 10G nics are also just around 60$ each including transcievers, I fail to see the usecase for spending a grand in lowrange 1gbase switches.
Lay out your idea in a new thread so that people see another option. To each their own. This worked for me and solved multiple problems (needed 10G for vSAN I/O, gave 10G to my file server and main system, I still have an extra 10G port left over, I now have 48 ports of 1G, and I'm only sucking down about 80 watts).

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
does this have good GUI or does it need CLI to work?
It's not terrible and I've been able to do everything in the GUI that I can do via command line as well.

Here's some quick ones I found on Google by searching for "Netgear gsm7328sv2 gui":

Obviously...this switch is for you if you LOVE purple. All Netgears are like this though.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
NICE find!!!! I could totally use this for my security cameras, but I'll let someone else grab it.

Mark

Nov 6, 2014
Netgear GSM7228PS 100NAS ProSafe Stackable 24 Port Gigabit Poe Switches 0606449071696 | eBay

I found the POE version of this switch for only $140 shipped to the US. This should be dirt cheap, even compared to the non-poe versions. I bought the other listing, and hoping I can get this working well in my setup. Now I just need to find some SFP+ modules for it that are the same awesome deal.
Thanks for posting this! I grabbed it for 80$ + ship. Going to use it for 10Gb connections to my 2 ESXI servers.

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
Glad I could help. It seems you got the add with rack ears, I got the add without. Didn't notice that until after receiving it, and had to order a set. Wish I had submitted a best offer as you certainly got a better deal! I thought these would go much quicker.

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Yeah I am trolling ebay looking for one of these. If I can get my san and vm box on 10gbe boy the cables and nics I can do away with! :D

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
I picked up 2 ax742 "stacking modules" for cheap. With the update from v8 to v10 firmware they work as 742 or 744 (literally the exact same board with a different face plate / silk screen). So I have 2 cx4 and 2 sfp+ 10gbe ports now.

Reactions: Emulsifide
Mar 7, 2015
I spent a long time looking for a V2. Never found one that was at all reasonably priced. Even the V1s were overpriced. Once I factored in the cost of the modules, there were much cheaper options out there. For example, I got a Netgear S3300 (2 sfp+, 2 10GbaseT) from Amazon Warehouse for $350, unopened. If you can snatch up a GSM7300 series for cheap, awesome, but they are a lot harder to find now.

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
I spent a long time looking for a V2. Never found one that was at all reasonably priced. Even the V1s were overpriced. Once I factored in the cost of the modules, there were much cheaper options out there. For example, I got a Netgear S3300 (2 sfp+, 2 10GbaseT) from Amazon Warehouse for $350, unopened. If you can snatch up a GSM7300 series for cheap, awesome, but they are a lot harder to find now.
That's a great price point. I'm looking to not go above $500 per switch, so that would be amazing.

Mar 7, 2015
It is still hard to get more than 2 10G connections for that low. I lucked out, obviously, on the switch, but I still had to purchase a $130 used 10GbaseT card. If you have built in copper 10G ports in some of your servers, it is a much better deal since sfp+ cards sell for as low as $30 so adding additional servers is cheap once you use both copper ports.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm going to be very interested in picking up a 10Gb switch now that it appears the 10GbE VMware drivers for my D-1540 board are on the horizon. The Netgear ProSafe GSM7328Sv2 seems ideal but MAN are they expensive. No way I can justify spending more than a few hundred on a new switch right now.