Android Desktop PC?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Apr 9, 2020
This is a dumb place to ask but maybe someone on the vault knows:

Does there exist a device that runs android(and can thus install android "apps" but just works like a desktop PC with a monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Reason I ask - I have approximately umpteen million stupid IoT devices and no smart phone(ok, I have a smartphone, but still); and for some reason none of the device manufacturers can concieve of a world where someone *might* not want to have a tablet glued to their arm. Having to find my phone/tablet, get the screen to turn on, navigate to the "app", etc is a really big pain in the butt when I am already sitting at a massive multi-monitor workstation. I'd really love to just tap a few keys on the KVM and have an always-on device I can use my existing keyboard and mouse to tap the little buttons. As you can probably guess, I'm not a huge fan of the whole smartphone/tablet thing. I have a cheap android tablet for setting up smart plugs and stuff, I just need something better for controlling them after the fact.

Does such a thing exist?

I have found a few "android tv" type devices but I don't know if they run "apps"; or if they are modern software, etc, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You can run Android on x86 hardware. There are plenty of SBCs that run it too (say ODROID-C4 for example).

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Check out android-x86, it has been around for quite a long time.

Apr 9, 2020
You can run Android on x86 hardware. There are plenty of SBCs that run it too (say ODROID-C4 for example).
I've heard that. I've also seen that it can be loaded onto a rasberry pi. But I don't want to dedicate a full-scale PC to this need and I'm hoping to find something more prefabricated/supported, and hopefully fairly low-power. If such a thing doesn't exist I can resort to the pi as a solution.

Apr 9, 2020
Would a Chromebox work for you? Chromebox | Chrome Devices | ASUS USA

After years of playing "Tech Support" for my elderly parents, I replaced the custom desktop I built for them, with a refurbished Asus box from eBay. Upgraded the memory to 16GB, replaced the stock SSD and reinstalled... makes for a swift little ChromeOS device.
Would I be able to install things like smarthome apps on the chromebox? I haven't honestly looked at a chromebook in 10+ years, so no idea what the OS is capable of these days.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Would I be able to install things like smarthome apps on the chromebox? I haven't honestly looked at a chromebook in 10+ years, so no idea what the OS is capable of these days.
Generally? According to Google, yes: Get Android apps & digital content from the Google Play Store - Google Play Help Specific to your application(s) I would say it depends - search the vendor's support forums.

I was able to buy my parents' i7-8550u Chromebox from a recycler for about $300 in early 2019. Another $200 (optional) to Crucial for upgraded memory and SSD, reinstall the proper restore image, and it's off to the races. Now if only my parents could understand re-connecting their Google Print printer after the ISP router resets...

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is there not something that can run in a vm? That might be even easier...

Apr 9, 2020
I'm actually liking the notion of a chromebox more and more. Idealy if I can find something that can run at 1024x768 and do what I need I can just have it be another device on my KVM and switch to it as needed. May even be good for some light web-browsing.

EDIT: to clarify: I have an ancient 32-port Kat5-KVM switch and nowhere near 32 devices to control. I do have a single 4:3 scree set up though most of the computters don't use it. The nice thing is for small, low-priority things like this, it offers a hand couple-of-keystrokes access instead of keystroke + pick up the IR remote that controlls the big screen.

Last edited:

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Development tools like android studio have emulators built-in. They run on qemu on Linux in a window. They emulate a bunch of different phones. I don't know if you can run them standalone or how much work you'd have to put in to get it to where you could use it. Android studio is a big platform. You can put most apps on them I think.