And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Has anyone successfully controled fans from OS on this board? Neither pwm in hwmon, nor the raw ipmitool commands outlined in asrockrack's faq work for me (ASRock Rack > Support). I am trying to get a script to speed up certain fans when HDDs get hot. Any ideas?
Can you please share a link to the beta bios page :)
You both don't need to.

Just grab the latest BMC and IPMI off their download page and those will give you fan settings.

@beepus

to actually answer your question. Yes I have. I've used the raw commands to do it and they work fine. I used supermicro's windows `SMCIPMITool` to do it

Bash:
.\SMCIPMITool.exe 192.168.4.102 admin admin ipmi raw 3a 01 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20

beepus

Sep 23, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I tried that, and get "Given netfn "3a" is invalid." running ipmitool raw with your input.
The command in asrockrack FAQ gives me the following output: "Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x3a lun=0x0 cmd=0x1 rsp=0xc1): Invalid command".

I'd much prefer to use the fan tables in ipmi, but since I'm trying to cool my HDDs specifically, that's not an option sadly.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I tried that, and get "Given netfn "3a" is invalid." running ipmitool raw with your input.
The command in asrockrack FAQ gives me the following output: "Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x3a lun=0x0 cmd=0x1 rsp=0xc1): Invalid command".

I'd much prefer to use the fan tables in ipmi, but since I'm trying to cool my HDDs specifically, that's not an option sadly.
hmm. What IPMI version are you on? I can test on mine. I'm on 3.02

zanechua

May 6, 2016
That would be very helpful, thank you.
I'm on bmc 3.02.00 and bios p4.20.
Just tested it on my board and I can confirm that it doesn't work. I'm also on 3.02. Seems like when they added the fan control table, they removed the ipmi commands to do manual fan control. Seems kinda unnecessary to remove it.

I'm assuming 2.20 is the last version that actually has the raw commands for fan settings.

serenity

Sep 25, 2021
On the X570 (and also on other boards) there is a header BMC_PH1. It is not documented in the manual. It is on the left side near the AST2500, next to the BMC ROM in this photo: https://www.asrockrack.com/photo/X570D4U-2L2T-1(L).jpg . Anyone knows what it is for? I guess it PH could mean something like physical header? On some boards it looks like it is routed to the BMC ROM socket so it is maybe a header for flashing. Can anyone confirm that or test if this is the case?

zanechua

May 6, 2016
On the X570 (and also on other boards) there is a header BMC_PH1. It is not documented in the manual. It is on the left side near the AST2500, next to the BMC ROM in this photo: https://www.asrockrack.com/photo/X570D4U-2L2T-1(L).jpg . Anyone knows what it is for? I guess it PH could mean something like physical header? On some boards it looks like it is routed to the BMC ROM socket so it is maybe a header for flashing. Can anyone confirm that or test if this is the case?
I'm assuming it's a way to flash the BMC firmware.

Based on this BIOS_PH1 header which says that a PH1 header is to flash the BIOS.

So making the logical assumption that BMC_PH1 = header to flash firmware for BMC.

beepus

Sep 23, 2021
Has anyone successfully controled fans from OS on this board? Neither pwm in hwmon, nor the raw ipmitool commands outlined in asrockrack's faq work for me (ASRock Rack > Support). I am trying to get a script to speed up certain fans when HDDs get hot. Any ideas?
for anyone looking for a solution to this problem, i found that the commands outlined in another post work perfectly fine: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asrock-rack-bmc-fan-control.26941/post-307956

broconne

Sep 23, 2021
I am getting ready to finalize the parts list for my new server build (it has been 11 years!) so I am a bit rusty on a few things. I have picked the X570D4U-2L2T as I think it provides most of the features I am interested in. I am looking for a good mix of performance + power consumption. I will be migrating from ESXi to Proxmox as part of this new server build and consolidating from two servers to one.

Questions for those of you with this board:

1. Can I do a pass through of a single on-board NIC? I want to pass through my WAN NIC directly to PFSense.
  2. I plan to do a ZFS Mirror for my boot drive using the two M2 slots. I can't tell from looking at the bus diagram but am I going to be hitting a write limit because one of the M2 slots shares PCI channels?
  3. I am going to be putting this into a hotswap case. Do these onboard SATA ports support hot swap?

Thanks!

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
Anyone else notice the timings settings for memory not saving? I tried setting them in the overclocking section and CBS section in BIOS and they will not change. I am using non ECC Samsung B die memory at the moment. I am only attempting to change the first 6. It will allow me to change the memory frequency to 3600MHz with no issues.
For anyone wanting to tweak your memory a bit with this motherboard, I found out from a German Youtube video that the timings in the BIOS are in hexadecimal so you you need to convert them from normal decimal format. I am now running a Samsung B die kit at 3200MHz 18-18-18-18-36-58 and trfc of 375. I tried to keep the settings fairly high for stability. I'm also not sure what voltage the memory is running at since it will not show proper voltages in Windows though I did try to tweak that as high as I could in BIOS as well. I could run these much faster with more voltage. These settings are a lot better than the default timings if you dont have a memory set with JEDEC.

• Wow
Reactions: emohhtevres

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
  1. Can I do a pass through of a single on-board NIC? I want to pass through my WAN NIC directly to PFSense.
  2. I plan to do a ZFS Mirror for my boot drive using the two M2 slots. I can't tell from looking at the bus diagram but am I going to be hitting a write limit because one of the M2 slots shares PCI channels?
  3. I am going to be putting this into a hotswap case. Do these onboard SATA ports support hot swap?
1. I don't see why that wouldn't work. Though I haven't personally tested it.
2. Someone else tried that in the thread with mixed results since the ports are using different controllers and different PCIE lanes.
3. Also I haven't tried this but I definitely recall it being a setting in the BIOS.

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
I recently updated the BIOS/BMC firmware to the latest ones (4.20/03.02.00) because I have a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G in route to upgrade my system from a Ryzen 7 1700...

Updating seemed to be successful but after restarting I see there's no video on the IMPI KVM until the OS loads... I get 5 short beeps during boot that probably means CPU issues. My ConnectX3 on the bottom PCIE slot is also not being detected. But weirdly Proxmox boots fine and I can access the console over the KVM normally after the OS is fully loaded...

I saw the notice to not update the BIOS for older Ryzens and that's probably the culprit. Anybody have similar experience? Is it safe to downgrade the BIOS if I need to run the 1700 again?

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
I recently updated the BIOS/BMC firmware to the latest ones (4.20/03.02.00) because I have a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G in route to upgrade my system from a Ryzen 7 1700...

Updating seemed to be successful but after restarting I see there's no video on the IMPI KVM until the OS loads... I get 5 short beeps during boot that probably means CPU issues. My ConnectX3 on the bottom PCIE slot is also not being detected. But weirdly Proxmox boots fine and I can access the console over the KVM normally after the OS is fully loaded...

I saw the notice to not update the BIOS for older Ryzens and that's probably the culprit. Anybody have similar experience? Is it safe to downgrade the BIOS if I need to run the 1700 again?
I had the same issue with a 10gb NIC I added. You need to change the PCIe lanes to 8x/8x/8x or something similar in the BIOS.

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
After some testing with my old 1700 and the new 4750G I found:

- BIOS 4.20 boots with the first gen Ryzen. But the BMC video doesn't work until the SO load its driver. So, no UEFI setup/boot selection/etc over KVM. I connected a PCIE GPU and was able to enter the BIOS, set onboard video as default but nothing changed. The PCIE slot config is also different: top PCIE gets the full 16 lanes by default and you need to change the setting to split 8 lanes to the lower slot. Previous BIOS would split automatically

- Using the BIOS 4.20, the Ryzen Pro 4750G works great! ECC error reporting also works! I tested using Memtest86 PRO and I got error reporting on the OS (not IMPI). With the Ryzen 1700 reporting doesn't work!

- Idle with the Renoir chip is around 6W lower compared to the Zen1. Barebone system (CPU, MB, RAM, and Seasonic PX550 Platinum) 4750G idles at 24W while the 1700 idles at 30W

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
I recently added a Hynix P31 NVME drive to the system through a m2->pcie adapter and plugged the drive into slot5 which supposedly is connected to the CPU over 4x PCIE lanes. But I saw the drive would only negotiate at 2x as listed by lspci and confirmed by benchmark numbers.

I suspected the adapter but then I moved my Mellanox ConnectX3 from the bottom 8x slot the this middle PCI5 slot and surprise! lspci reads the same 2x (downgraded) slot negotiation!

Anybody has issues with this middle slot? Maybe my board has a defect... I am currently using a Ryzen Pro 7 5750G

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Anybody has issues with this middle slot? Maybe my board has a defect...
Ryzen Pro 7 5750G 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes 16+4+4 (same as non iGPU SKUs)
which ASRock is this again ? X470D4U2-2T PCIE5 from PCH is PCI2.0 x1 only i.e.

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
Sorry, I should have mentioned it's a vanilla X470D4U, so all CPU lanes are connected to the main slots. This PCI5 should take the 4x lanes usually allocated to a M2 slot on most of regular AM4 boards. That's why my surprise.
Yes, the 5750G has the same number of PCIE lanes as the regular Vermeer CPUs...
But even Renoir APUs with 12x lanes (excluding 4x used to connect to the chipset) would have these 4x lanes connected as those are usually the lanes connected to M2 slot. In that case the top PCIE would only have access to 8 lanes

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Thats good to know. Most motherboard specs specify slots operate differently for APU vs CPU.

Next step: check the BIOS settings. ASRock Rack PCIE settings are conservative - my EP2C BIOS defaults to PCI-E 2.0 and some slots limited / disabled - had to manually switch them to PCI-E 3.0 and enable all slots vs storage.. However X470D4U PCI-E slots don't seem to depend on storage from the specs: ASRock Rack > X470D4U

psychowood

Dec 29, 2021
Hi all, can someone help me with pcie passthrough on this board, using ESXi (specifically ESXi 8)?
I'm having issues, I first tried passing through the iGPU without success (it was a long shot, I know, but worth trying... :) ), bit right now I'm not even able to passthrough a simple 1x pci nic.

All I get is
Code:
Wa(03) vmx - PCIPassthru: Selected device 0000:27:00.0 is outside of the NUMA configuration
In(05) vmx - AH Failed to find a suitable device for pciPassthru1
I'm currently running it with a 4750GE without problems (BIOS 4.20), and I've been able without problems to pass the ASMEDIA SATA controller to a TrueNAS VM.

Thanks