And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm still on 3.30 myself although there's been a couple of posts on the level1techs thread reporting success. ASRock-non-Rack's new AGESA BIOSes for other X470 boards came out a week or two back so I'd hope for a "stable" one for this board in a month or so.

The good thing about IPMI is that flashing a new or old version becomes very easy.

wojciii

Apr 24, 2021
I'm using a recent version if TrueNAS core with this board.

I need some help with this board. This is actually the second board that I'm using. The first one stopped working suddenly without any explanation and would not post any more. :(

The replacement X470D4U2-2T worked very well for a while (2 weeks).

I now use 4 x KSM26ED8/16ME RAM and everything worked with 2 of the modules. I added two more identical modules and got a power off without anything in the logs after some time. I would like to determine the cause of this. I didn't do any overclocking and I'm using RAM which is listed in the Memory QVL for this board.

I'm using
BMC Firmware Version 1.80.00
BIOS Firmware Version P3.40
(PSP Firmware Version 0.13.0.2e
Microcode Version 08701021)

The above versions are the latest. I really don't want to use their beta versions.

I noticed that the logs from IPMI ("IPMI Event Log") had very little information about what went wrong. After the power off of the host, the host could not be powered off and on again and I had to power off the whole device.

How do you debug sudden power offs of the host? Which settings in BIOS should I verify that are disabled - anything related to power management that I should verify is disabled?

Any way of logging the state to another machine without using the KVM browser from IPMI (using a web browser)?

Thanks for any pointers. :)

• Wow
Reactions: emohhtevres

soupyfrood

Dec 12, 2019
Have you tried a new PSU? A power issue is my first thought, especially with a failed motherboard. You could try setting up serial output for the console so you could capture the output, but that may not show you anything.

In other news, I upgraded to the beta BIOS with no issues. Haven’t upgraded the CPU yet.

wojciii

Apr 24, 2021
Have you tried a new PSU? A power issue is my first thought, especially with a failed motherboard. You could try setting up serial output for the console so you could capture the output, but that may not show you anything.

In other news, I upgraded to the beta BIOS with no issues. Haven’t upgraded the CPU yet.
I used a different PSU with the first board (which stopped working, the board not the PSU :)). I thought this was a bad PSU then and bought another one.
I have a Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 PSU.

I did a CMOS reset by removing the battery and I'm running a memory test now. :)

The serial output from the MB will be from the OS, right? So just some messages from FBSD?

I use a AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU. I enabled PCIe bifurcation as I use "ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 (PCIe 4.0/3.0)" to use an additonal 4 NVMe M.2 devices.

Anything else that I should set in BIOS settings?

soupyfrood

Dec 12, 2019
To be clear, is the IPMI completely unresponsive as well? It should never go offline even when the OS crashes...

windowsxp811203

Aug 2, 2021

I need some help with this board. This is actually the second board that I'm using. The first one stopped working suddenly without any explanation and would not post any more. :(

I now use 4 x KSM26ED8/16ME RAM and everything worked with 2 of the modules. I added two more identical modules and got a power off without anything in the logs after some time. I would like to determine the cause of this. I didn't do any overclocking and I'm using RAM which is listed in the Memory QVL for this board.

I'm using

The above versions are the latest. I really don't want to use their beta versions.

I noticed that the logs from IPMI ("IPMI Event Log") had very little information about what went wrong. After the power off of the host, the host could not be powered off and on again and I had to power off the whole device.

How do you debug sudden power offs of the host? Which settings in BIOS should I verify that are disabled - anything related to power management that I should verify is disabled?

Any way of logging the state to another machine without using the KVM browser from IPMI (using a web browser)?

i have some problem like this have anyone know it?

nukke

Aug 5, 2021

I'm using

IPMI completely have responsive as well,but power control cannot use need power off the whole device.
Based on what I've been reading, it seems like system crashes are "common" on low airflow environments. The VRM on these boards are anemic and even though a 3600X CPU shouldn't really stress the system, it's possible that the OS (in conjunction with BIOS settings) might be ramping up performance which in turn causes thermal issues.

My first suggestion would be to make sure you have adequate cooling in your chassis. Ideally you could put little heatsinks on the VRMs with some thermal paste or pads, plus some direct cooling. Even better if you can get perhaps a 40mm fan and point it directly at the general area surrounding the CPU. You could also try placing a spare 120mm fan facing that area as well and have it set to, say, 50% speed or whatever might be reasonable in terms of acoustics.

Another thing is to check the sensor readings in the IPMI console. See if there are any crazy spikes in voltage and in temperatures (things besides the CPU itself).

In my case, I'm running two identical boards (X470D4U, the one with regular 1G NICs) and I've never had issues. Could be luck, could be something else. I'm running Proxmox on both systems with stock BIOS settings.

windowsxp811203

Aug 2, 2021
Based on what I've been reading, it seems like system crashes are "common" on low airflow environments. The VRM on these boards are anemic and even though a 3600X CPU shouldn't really stress the system, it's possible that the OS (in conjunction with BIOS settings) might be ramping up performance which in turn causes thermal issues.

My first suggestion would be to make sure you have adequate cooling in your chassis. Ideally you could put little heatsinks on the VRMs with some thermal paste or pads, plus some direct cooling. Even better if you can get perhaps a 40mm fan and point it directly at the general area surrounding the CPU. You could also try placing a spare 120mm fan facing that area as well and have it set to, say, 50% speed or whatever might be reasonable in terms of acoustics.

Another thing is to check the sensor readings in the IPMI console. See if there are any crazy spikes in voltage and in temperatures (things besides the CPU itself).

In my case, I'm running two identical boards (X470D4U, the one with regular 1G NICs) and I've never had issues. Could be luck, could be something else. I'm running Proxmox on both systems with stock BIOS settings.

I am try to use nicehash miner only 1sec Power off automatically
And the temperature No overheating does not exceed 85 degrees C
Bios settings all are default

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
I am try to use nicehash miner only 1sec Power off automatically
And the temperature No overheating does not exceed 85 degrees C
Bios settings all are default
Is that the temperature for the CPU itself or other components? There are several temperature readings in the IPMI console besides the CPU, how are those looking? Do you have adequate airflow/cooling in your setup?

You're saying a cryptominer is crashing it. That sounds like possible thermal issues the more I think about it.

windowsxp811203

Aug 2, 2021
Is that the temperature for the CPU itself or other components? There are several temperature readings in the IPMI console besides the CPU, how are those looking? Do you have adequate airflow/cooling in your setup?

You're saying a cryptominer is crashing it. That sounds like possible thermal issues the more I think about it.
The temperature seems to be normal

cpu 5950x
ram Samsung 32g ecc

all in official site list

I am using 2 same server buy from newegg name is AsRock Rack 1U4LW-X470 1U Rackmount Server Barebone AMD AM4 Ryzen & Ryzen 7nm PGA1331 X470 4 x 3.5" HDD 400W PSU

Cryptocurrency is only for testing
and I am try to use ipmi set fan 100% or default
nicehash also run 1 sec server will power off

ps 2 same server spec all have same problem

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
The temperature seems to be normal

cpu 5950x
ram Samsung 32g ecc

all in official site list

I am using 2 same server buy from newegg name is AsRock Rack 1U4LW-X470 1U Rackmount Server Barebone AMD AM4 Ryzen & Ryzen 7nm PGA1331 X470 4 x 3.5" HDD 400W PSU

Cryptocurrency is only for testing
and I am try to use ipmi set fan 100% or default
nicehash also run 1 sec server will power off

ps 2 same server spec all have same problem
Oh I just realized you're saying the server powers off. You mean it shuts down completely, correct? Not just the OS/IPMI being unresponsive, but you lose complete power on the system? @wojciii was saying his system is unresponsive but sounds like it's still running (as in fans are spinning, lights are on).

In your case, do you have a different power supply to test with? The X470D4U motherboards use standard ATX connectors so you should be able to plug in any regular consumer power supply and test further.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
BIOS 4.20 is finally officially out (it seems beta BIOS 4.21 has been removed) featuring official support of the 5000 series and AGESA 1.2.0.0.

BMC firmware 02.32.00 has also been released, with the ambiguous description of "enhance system compatibility".

scline

Apr 7, 2016
BMC firmware 02.32.00 broke the web UI on IPMI for me, need to sit down and roll that back. I can say 4.20 worked without any issues and is running my 5900X now.

damienr

Nov 20, 2015
New Zealand
BMC firmware 02.32.00 broke the web UI on IPMI for me, need to sit down and roll that back. I can say 4.20 worked without any issues and is running my 5900X now.
Mine worked okay, but I had it erase everything and then set it back up manually. Still on beta BIOS 4.21 for now.

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
Anyone else notice the timings settings for memory not saving? I tried setting them in the overclocking section and CBS section in BIOS and they will not change. I am using non ECC Samsung B die memory at the moment. I am only attempting to change the first 6. It will allow me to change the memory frequency to 3600MHz with no issues.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Mines working perfectly with a 5600X running ESXi 6.7 :D

1629816315478.png

Reactions: Ralph_IT

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Upgraded my board to beta IPMI and bios.

Didn't see anything special other than the FAN settings that came in 2.32.

1630135727108.png

beepus

Sep 23, 2021
Has anyone successfully controled fans from OS on this board? Neither pwm in hwmon, nor the raw ipmitool commands outlined in asrockrack's faq work for me (ASRock Rack > Support). I am trying to get a script to speed up certain fans when HDDs get hot. Any ideas?