And so it begins: ASUS Mining P106

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
Those product pages are pure gold, thanks.
"dual ball-ball bearing 0dB fans"
"super alloy power II"
The bracket is also well engineered (/s), let's remove the connectors and put a big stamped logo on it, that will restrict airflow a lot more (giga airflow II bracket they should call it)
upload_2017-6-28_19-32-59.png
Jokes aside, will be curious how they do in ordinary, non-moning, GPU compute tasks and if they will be sold in channel or just specialized vendors. But judging by it being PCIe 1.0 spec, I guess little outside of special cases.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The reason we will not be covering these GPUs is simple. If you had experienced the early Bitcoin AMD mining days a very similar pattern to today is happening. People are buying GPUs they would not want for any other purpose other than to mine.

Eventually, the difficulty rises, currencies crash (e.g. when Bitcoin nosedived to $7), FPGAs and ASICs become popular, and GPUs stop being useful to mine on.

At that point, you need to sell GPUs.

If you have a RX580 8GB, GTX 1060 6GB (not 3GB), GTX 1070, and etc, people will buy them second hand for gaming. The larger GTX chips for deep learning as well.

On the crypto-mining cards, who is going to buy them after profitability is gone?

What happened last time is that the value of the cards that were not great for gaming crashed hard. Therefore, you would need to make more money mining than on a gaming card because the residual value is less.

One slight exception is the 1080 Ti Founder's Edition which does have one less video output to provide better cooling. For most users they will be fine with four video outputs and there are plenty of uses for them. One video output does not drive a dual monitor setup.

While it may be a "hot topic" I am not planning to give these cards significant airtime on STH.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
From what I read on Reddit, company charge more $$$$ for less features for these mining cards.
It is not like the price is cheaper than normal gaming cards. They just want to cash in the hype.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I would have been interested a few months or even weeks ago IF they were under $150.00 each.

A regular XFX RX 470 4 gb was $169.00 just a few short weeks ago before the supply dried up.

What I see is they are alot more money than they should be, considering the short warranty and not able to sell it to gamers when the demand tanks.

Tho if in a few months when the cryptocurrency bubble ends and when everyone is selling all their no longer profitable cards I can see buying a few if they are CHEAP just to have in case the bubble comes back.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Not the P106, but two versions of the Sapphite RX 470 4GB with a single DVI are up for $260 on newegg 180-day warranty.
I would have expected the rear io plate to have more holes, but it seems like there are less.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
If I was making mining cards and charging a premium for them I'd be putting components in them that stand up better to the 100%/24/7 demands than consumer 'gaming' GPUs have.

Those product pages are pure gold, thanks.
"dual ball-ball bearing 0dB fans"
"super alloy power II"
The bracket is also well engineered (/s), let's remove the connectors and put a big stamped logo on it, that will restrict airflow a lot more (giga airflow II bracket they should call it)
View attachment 5994
Jokes aside, will be curious how they do in ordinary, non-moning, GPU compute tasks and if they will be sold in channel or just specialized vendors. But judging by it being PCIe 1.0 spec, I guess little outside of special cases.
I don't understand the image, I saw on the ASUS page, but there it has a DVI port and two HDMI...

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I thought AMD stopped making the RX470 and 480 graphics chips a couple of months ago, I wonder why theses are suddenly coming available soon instead of RX 570 versions?

Chips that did not bin highly?
Defective?
Used ones from returned cards?

Kind of odd.......

Ellwood

Nov 20, 2016
They only way I could see it even being close to "worth it" would be if they allowed it to enter into SLI/Crossfire. At least, there'd be some residual benefit to a GPU card without outputs. I thought I remembered seeing a few years ago that dissimilar cards for Nvidia could be used for the PhysX effects, but at the same time, there was no actual benefit in offloading PhysX to a single card.

Fred Flinstone

Nov 5, 2016
Do you know if the Nvidia Mining cards can also be used with TensorFlow for deep learning?

Any thoughts on the best way to simultaneously mine and run deep learning?

Fred Flintstone