An internal 4xSSD module for SC846/SC847

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I had a need to mount a stack of SSDs in addition to the 36x drives in one of my new SC847's. I designed this SSD rack and had it 3D-printed; it will hold 4 devices, mounts to the normal Supermicro mounting plate (though a tweak would allow screwing it in directly, I went with a plan to bolt/nut it to the plate).

Hope it is useful - if you want to modify, grab the original from Tinkercad - I think you can take it, clone it and modify.

SSD-Stack.png

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Seeing this just makes me want to own a 3D printer.... But do i really need it ... Maybe I need one at work where I won't get into trouble with the Wife

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I had a need to mount a stack of SSDs in addition to the 36x drives in one of my new SC847's. I designed this SSD rack and had it 3D-printed; it will hold 4 devices, mounts to the normal Supermicro mounting plate (though a tweak would allow screwing it in directly, I went with a plan to bolt/nut it to the plate).

Hope it is useful - if you want to modify, grab the original from Tinkercad - I think you can take it, clone it and modify.

View attachment 2304
Supermicro, make on nice 4 x ssd frame for the 732 series case,,

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
The trick is to use 3dhubs.com or another broker to find someone to print it for you. I got two for about twenty Pacific Pesos.

Supermicro, make on nice 4 x ssd frame for the 732 series case,,
They do, but it won't fit under the motherboard tray in the 4U storage chassis. There's only about 70mm clearance, give or take.

Last edited:
Reactions: christer

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Nice! Thanks for posting the design link as well. I was tossing around the idea of designing something similar for my SC846.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
The trick is to use 3dhubs.com or another broker to find someone to print it for you. I got two for about twenty Pacific Pesos.

They do, but it won't fit under the motherboard tray in the 4U storage chassis. There's only about 70mm clearance, give or take.
I don't know why I didnt think to see if there was a way to have some else print this or a few other designs of things I have seen. I chalked it that since I didn't have a printer I couldn't get my hands on one of these. Thanks for the design and thanks for the 3dguru info. Prices are actually pretty cheap. On the off chance someone my know is there a design for the sc826/16 2u chassis or perhaps would this work in those?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I don't know why I didnt think to see if there was a way to have some else print this or a few other designs of things I have seen. I chalked it that since I didn't have a printer I couldn't get my hands on one of these. Thanks for the design and thanks for the 3dguru info. Prices are actually pretty cheap. On the off chance someone my know is there a design for the sc826/16 2u chassis or perhaps would this work in those?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
It may fit as is in the 2U chassis - it's only 70mm high, and the inside of a 2U is normally 80-85mm. You could also rework it to make the inter-disk spacing smaller, or make the whole unit smaller for inside a 1U case (you have 40mm to work with there, so you will have fewer disks and smaller spacing to deal with).

Reactions: Chuntzu

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Something like this is almost exactly what I need - but I'm confused about where you intended to have it mount. My SC846 is pretty full inside, with a MB that reaches from the PSUs all the way across the entire chassis, the large plastic air shroud ensuring the passive CPU heatsinks get airflow, and a pair of 3.5" drives already mounted to the optional bays between the PSUs and the air-shroud. And then I've got the internal 2.5" drives - 6 of them - currently just loose sitting on top of the air shroud. The only way I could think to mount one (or two) of those would be to hang them from the chassis lid in the area behind the PCIe slots - but then I can't ever add a long card in the future, and I'm not a fan of mounting things to removable panels (thereby converting them to non-removable panels).

I don't have a good picture of mine handy - but here's a random pic from google search that is about as full as mine, minus the loose internal drives.
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/846finally-1.jpg

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I ... have the 36-bay version of the 846 or 847. In this configuration the SSD mounts are in the cramped space below the sliding motherboard tray, between the two expanders (24 port at the front and 12 port at the bottom rear). There are a pair of metal plates on which SuperMicro intended you mount 1x 3.5" drive each, or in my case, two of the 4-bay plastic modules side by side. Servicing will (would) be a royal pain, but I'm hoping I just don't need to service it. Ever.

When those Viking(??) 25TB and 50TB SSDs are a dime a dozen I'll just build a smaller, faster, larger, flash-only replacement. Pretty sure I would be fine with 12x 25TB in RAID 6(0).

Reactions: pgh5278

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I should find the extra drive mount I designed to stick some extra drives into my SC846 and post it here. It's a parameterized SCAD file, so can easily generate models for mounting any number of drives with customizable spacing between them. I just drilled a few holes in the lid of mine and have the extra drives hanging from the lid just behind the fan-wall.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Hi David, do you think you could make a version that has less spacing in between drives?
SSD's don't really get hot, and I need as many SSD's in as little of a space as possible.
This bracket, with 8 SSD's would be perfect.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Consumer ssd don’t get hot but enterprise ones have a complete different power profile.

Reactions: pgh5278

leon_pro

Nov 3, 2017
Great thing, thanks! I am actually looking for something like this. Will review it and probably will make a version with 7mm spacing.