An employer I accepted an offer with is being inflexible with the start date. What would you do?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I'll try to be as brief as possible here.

The company I interviewed for posted a job opening around mid-July. I interviewed with them on August 13th. Had another interview sometime early September.

When they called to offer me the position I said give me a day to decide(aka weigh the benefits, etc). I emailed them back on September 16th accepting the offerl. I think that sometime during the phone call exchanges that were made I said that I could start on November 2nd, BUT, however, what I do remember saying is that I told them the start date was just so that they could have something to put down, and that I would need to confirm again later so that I could give my employer 2 weeks notice.

My email to the HR director was exactly this:

"I accept the offer. However, I will refrain from putting in any kind of notice at my current employer until I hear that the background check was complete."

Later when I got the background check confirmation I emailed my future boss and told her thus. She replied with:

"Awesome. Let me touch base with and I will let you know what happens next. I suspect board approval on the last Thursday in October and then we can set a start day any time after that. I will confirm with Karen and let you know for sure."

Simultaneously, once I heard from the HR director herself that I was cleared, I emailed her this:

"Great! So what is the next step? Do I just wait for the next board meeting and work with to determine my start date?"

and got a "Yes, that's correct." as the response...

Anyway, either the same day or a few days later I asked my future boss if she thought it was cool for me to go ahead and put in my 2 week notice. She said

"Yes. I believe that you are safe to do so in my professional opinion. I cannot give you a 100% certainty, but I have never seen a position turned down by our board in the past 1-0 years, so I do not think that you would be the first."

I did not reply to this email and consulted with some professional co-workers in confidence and some friends about whether or not I should just wait until the board approval to put in my notice. The general consensus was it didn't hurt to be sure about it before doing anything. So I just decided, yeah, I'll wait until I hear that the board approved the position before giving my notice. I am not one to put the cart before the horse anyway.

Board approval was this past Thursday, October 22nd, the position got approved and I got the follow up email this past Friday from my future boss stating we were good and that HR set my start date for November 2nd. What?

This only gives me the ability to give my current employer a 1 week notice. I said "how flexible is the start date?" And was met with a "when would you like to start?" I said straight up I was waiting until the approval to give my 2 week notice and that I still had vacation time to either use or cash out.

I initially said the 16th would work and was met with:

"I spoke with HR and they said that you agreed to a November 2nd start date, so we need to go with that day. I hope this will not be too big of a problem." then I said "is the 9th out of the question?"

Response: "According to HR it has to be the 2nd. Sorry if this is causing issues for you."

This seems to me like the worst kind of inflexibility any institution could ever have. What sort of general advice can I get? What are my best options? I don't really mind giving just a week notice but honestly, in my opinion, a 1 week notice is unprofessional and disrespectful. I don't understand why this new employer doesn't understand this and isn't willing to budge on the start date. I mean come on, they've already been waiting this long, what's one more week?

In my opinion it seems like my most powerful bargaining position is one where I'm willing to walk away from the offer. That means their only options are to bend to my request or to either start the whole hiring process over again or wait ANOTHER month(or two if they're unlucky)to offer the position to a secondary candidate which then has to be put before the institution board again to be re-approved.

I'd like to also point out that the position here is one that is completely new to the institution. Meaning it's a new role. So it's not like they couldn't survive before without it. They just realized they need a little extra help.

Is the prospective employer acting in a way that denotes ... maybe not irresponsibility, but carelessness? Are they acting out of line?

Am I in a good position or even in any kind of position at all to effectively negotiate an extra week out of respect for my current employer or do I even stand to gain any ground by attempting such? Should I even be worrying as much about 1 week notice vs 2 week notice?

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
While not the best position professionally, 1 week notice is ample notice. 2 Weeks notice is more of a guideline. In all reality your employment is at will and not a contract. Your employer doesn't have to give you two weeks notice but can tell you to get lost at any time. This is a college environment if I remember correctly, you can just go ahead and give the one week notice and not look back and if your current employer says something to the effect that it is not enough time then they haven't been paying attention since they already knew about the possibility of you leaving since your new employer has already contacted them.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
It is what it is
A cliche, popular within the circles of coaches, business execs, and those of us who just want to say "It's happened. 'I'm going to forget about it. I'm going to move on. There is nothing that can be done about it."

Cperalt1 sum it up really well.

Full speed ahead , move on, don't look back. In 10 to 20 years, when you look back, this event is just a ripple in the ocean.
Unless you want to beg for your old job back. :D

Reactions: Chuckleb

canta

Nov 26, 2014
While not the best position professionally, 1 week notice is ample notice. 2 Weeks notice is more of a guideline. In all reality your employment is at will and not a contract. Your employer doesn't have to give you two weeks notice but can tell you to get lost at any time. This is a college environment if I remember correctly, you can just go ahead and give the one week notice and not look back and if your current employer says something to the effect that it is not enough time then they haven't been paying attention since they already knew about the possibility of you leaving since your new employer has already contacted them.
your explanation is exactly in real word!!!

some employer will say, ok you can stop work tomorrow, do NOT forget returns company' belonging to your manager/boss.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
It is what it is
A cliche, popular within the circles of coaches, business execs, and those of us who just want to say "It's happened. 'I'm going to forget about it. I'm going to move on. There is nothing that can be done about it."

Cperalt1 sum it up really well.

Full speed ahead , move on, don't look back. In 10 to 20 years, when you look back, this event is just a ripple in the ocean.
Unless you want to beg for your old job back. :D
do not worry as long as you say goodbye and leaving politely, They would give you your old job back in the future :D

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Thanks guys, as always you deliver sound and solid advice.

#loveServeTheHome

Sep 22, 2015
I'm going to go against the grain here and say your new employer is being rather unreasonable and its a huge warning sign to me. If they're that inflexible about a START date, what else will they be inflexible about? Any boss who isn't willing to let you give the customary 2 weeks notice isn't someone I'd really want to work for.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I'm going to go against the grain here and say your new employer is being rather unreasonable and its a huge warning sign to me. If they're that inflexible about a START date, what else will they be inflexible about? Any boss who isn't willing to let you give the customary 2 weeks notice isn't someone I'd really want to work for.
While I understand your line of thinking and tend to agree, I'm pretty certain that it isn't my actual supervisor that is being unreasonable as much as it is that she is trying to request the additional week but is getting denied by the HR director. From what I was told the HR director only just recently just came into that position so she might be having a power trip or is inexperienced in the role(but it's not like you would be ignorant to the 2 week notice modus operandi if you were qualified to be an HR director...).

This is also the first time my "new boss" will have an employee under her, if that weights into anything...

Reactions: DavidVermillion