An attempt to improve Dell poweredge 2900 (rack) with lga 2011v3 mainboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ruffpl

Dec 19, 2017
I bought used Dell poweredge 2900 rack unit ( fully working with 2 PSUs) and I am thinking about inserting supermicro x10drhc (dual lga 2011) mainboard inside. I took out original mobo with all peripherals to make place for new one / just need to make small modification : chasis screws and improvements in the back of the rack ( so there will be no problems with cables and pci devices)
My new mainboard have 24pin atx power connector and 2x 8pins 12v power connectors for cpus. One thing I have problem with is Dell J7552 power distribution board. There are 3 connectors JPWR1 (20 pins), JPWR2 (24 pins) and SAS BACKPLANE (22 pins). Where can I get some scheme or more info about it?

ruffpl

Dec 19, 2017
I didnt find anything :( Maybe I will try to get scheme of blade psu and take cables directly from it ( the only minus is that I will be using only one psu instead of both). Model of psu is DELL 930W 0U8947 A930P-00

Last edited:

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
Dell and HP use custom backplanes. Even some SM stuff does now too so you can't use atx psus with everything anymore

DrTweak

Feb 11, 2020
I signed up just to add this! First off thanks gslavov for the link. That helped me a lot. And also Sorry for such and old thread as well but I figured this could help someone!!!

If you WISH to use the power supply back plane as I did so i could power the SAS Back plane with it this is ALL you have to do!

On the black connector in upper right. If you have the ribbon it makes it easier, but you want to do this. Combine Pin 3 and 4. (Pins are labeled and start from left to right bottom to top) and then jump those to pin 14.

You then want to jump pins 8 and 16.

What this is does jump the D6 for PS1/PS2 (Pin 3 and 4 respectively) to B6 which is pin 14 in either case. This will allow you to plug a power supply in either port and it will work.

Pints 8 and 16 Jump B2 and B3 respectively. This is for the fans

You do NOT need to worry about A1 and B1 when you are using a back plane!!!

PLEASE NOTE! This will NOT work if you try plugging in both power supplies. They will shut off with a caution. You need the motherboard connected for that to work properly.

You can then also use the 2 2x2 on the back plane which is the same as a 12V connector for the CPU if you want to make your own to add more and get a 5V signal. I also ripped out the hard drive enclosure to use with the caddys and have the back plane mounted on it.