Amount of torque for heatsink on LGA 3647 socket?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by JSNAS, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JSNAS

JSNAS New Member

I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to ensure that I use the proper amount of torque for screwing down a heatsink onto the LGA 3647 socket (ie. Xeon Scalable processors)? Do people suggest using a torque wrench, or can I just hand tighten it (and if the latter, how do I know how much to do)?

2. K D

K D Well-Known Member

3. JSNAS

JSNAS New Member

Thanks. Two questions:

1) how did you determine the setting? trial and error? if I also do trial and error (since I don't have the exact same power screw driver you have), am I at risk of damaging the components, or squishing the heatsink paste too much?

2) do you think I could screw it down by hand, or is that never going to work since all 4 screws must be tightened equal amounts?

4. K D

K D Well-Known Member

For me it worked the first try. And I just used the same going forward. The screwdriver i use is a gyroscopic one where you twist it to control the driving. I have been using it for years and am more comfortable with it. It is an older version of this.

DEWALT DCF680N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver 2 Battery Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL7QDS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FpjRAb3X0HVKZ

I think you are over thinking this. It is no different from screwing on any heatsink or other electronics. Tighten slowly and do not over tighten.

If you are not used to electric drivers then just use a regular one by hand.

5. JSNAS

JSNAS New Member

OK, thanks. Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about it. Anyway, I appreciate the advice.