AMM Firmware - IBM Blade Center - 8852

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pobrika

Jan 23, 2020
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, I've been task with getting an IBM Blade Center's fan working this has led me down a path which I am hoping I can get some advice on.

Issue we have a fan that failed at our LIVE site on an Blade Center H we replaced the fan with a new one but it reported the cooling unit was not recognised, a few weeks later one failed on our redundant system, I used used the same failed fan on this chassis and it worked.

I ordered another Cooling fan and tried again at our LIVE site and again it shows up as not recognised. Reading on some IBM forums I found a post about updating the AMM firmware which might resolve my issue see: Unrecognized Chassis cooling device in BladeCenter S Chassis - IBM BladeCenter S Chassis (1948, 7779, 8886) It's for the Blade S series but I am guessing they are close enough...

The Issue I am stuck with is with the firmware update, current firmware on LIVE is: BPET54D and on the other where the fan worked is slightly older: BPET54C

Can I update from this old 2010 firmware to the latest 2019 firmware in one giant leap as there are loads of firmware updates between then and now?
Is it safe to do so?
Will I lose the static IP on the AMM definately? If so I'd need to have someone on site to reconfigure it.
Do I need o update firmware on blades or chassis firmware also, or can I just do the AMM and all will be ok.
Will the AMM firmware update cause an outage or issues with the running blades?

I've discovered we have 2x AMM configured apparently although never tried the IP for the 2nd slot. This will possibly help me If I can reconfigure and update one AMM from the other?

I'd love to ask IBM but we don't have a support contract and even after asking I have been unable to get any traction hence asking on this forum.

Description : BladeCenter-H
Machine Type/Model: 88524YG
Part Number: 41Y4864
Firmware data:
Type : AMM firmware
Build ID : BPET54D
File Name : CNETCMUS.PKT
Release Date : 03/05/2010
Release Level : 54
Revision - Major: 84

Please can any one answer some of these questions..

Best regards
Paul