AMD This is EPYC Campaign and AMD EPYC Updates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Will be really interesting to see where intel heads with the next gen CPU’s, they have the lower power today but threatened by the lack of progress on the process shrink, and at the high core count if the NUMA nodes are not a concern AMD are strong and AMD certainly have the PCIe lanes etc right now.

My guess is small panic at intel right now, not a huge risk to their business yet but could well be in the near future.

Reactions: eva2000

littleredwagen

Dec 8, 2016
I'm not even entertaining this, cannot beat years of solid 24/7/365 up time reliability and uptime with Intel platforms. I'd rather pay more per CPU then have to deal with unproven platforms. I have enough work right now don't need random bugs, or even worse.

Chris Web

Sep 12, 2017
I'm not even entertaining this, cannot beat years of solid 24/7/365 up time reliability and uptime with Intel platforms. I'd rather pay more per CPU then have to deal with unproven platforms. I have enough work right now don't need random bugs, or even worse.
I have a bunch of opteron servers that have been running 24/7/365 for years now, many of them 8 years old now and still running fine. I also have a new epyc server that's been running fine as well as any Intel server I've had. Just because Intel is solid doesn't mean that AMD isn't

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fossxplorer

Joshin

May 11, 2017
I'd say a hidden bug which saps a tremendous of server capacity seems like one worthy of revoking the "proven" status of a platform. Enabling PTI is currently a non-starter as the performance degradation caused by Spectre was devastating to performance and server capacity.

And given Intel's lack of courage in providing microcode fixes to older, but still performant processors, if I'm going to have to pony up to add capacity, why would I reward Intel with additional sale?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Such competition is usually met by Intel through ramping up kickbacks for deciders within the big box builders who are bribed to stay predominantly with Intel, and possibly through taking away kickbacks from deciders who dare to offer more than a marginal AMD portfolio. This money spent now was gained by selling you overpriced 4-cores for what, a decade.

Before Meltdown/Spectre I was impressed by Intel's track record with regard to stability, but then that happened and just yesterday I got advised by a box builder of this VMware Knowledge Base (detrimental power states in a bunch of Xeons, affecting all vendors).

So my current opinion is that the x86 industry is not capable anymore of releasing truly rock solid hardware that isn't overengineered with UEFI, AMT, IPMI coprocessors and whatnot, and I think that so many issues have bit by bit (excuse the pun) crept into Xeon land, that AMD has become an option for the datacenter. Just take the single CPU EPYC 7401P giving a dual Silver 4114 a run for its money. Or any dual Broadwell Xeon 2600 system for that matter. Not to mention more PCIe and more RAM slots.

An IMHO underappreciated side effect is that you can now forget all those big and crammed EE-ATX boards with dual CPU configurations that barely fit into the largest of cases and instead build a 1CPU ATX board solution again with on par performance, lower price and better features.

Go AMD.

Reactions: fossxplorer

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Little known fact (but perhaps it should be) AMD EPYC will likely be joining the STH hosting cluster next week.

I think the EPYC platforms are at the stability point that they can be used without issue. We now have over 500 EPYC cores running in the lab at any given time and platforms from several vendors. I do not think EPYC is perfect, but it is very good in many scenarios.

And @Stephan that sounds like standard power state issues. If you look at SPEC CPU2006/2017, SPEC jbb and others, they are all done with power states off. The transitions between power states takes time and thus impacts performance. You get a huge amount of power savings with them on, but you will lose performance.

Reactions: eva2000 and William

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I heard EPYC sucked last summer. Now that Dell and HP are in that bar's gotta be raised.