AMD Socket SP3 coolers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
Hello all. Anyone have any recommendations for an AMD Epyc 7401p CPU cooler? I was going to use the noctua nh-u9 tr4-sp3 but after receiving both the cooler and motherboard today, I realized the socket is in the wrong orientation for the cooler fans.

Erick

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
What exactly do you mean by "wrong orientation"?
The airflow is directed vertically instead of horizontally in a typical workstation arrangement? In this case I don't think thats a real issue.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
I'm using the board in a 4U server chassis with heavy airflow from front to back. The CPU socket on the board is right near the front of the board, which in my case is near some other fans. It would likely cool fine the way it is, but I mainly wanted airflow to remain from front to back, exhausting out the rear of the case... And I'm picky :)

I did order a Dynatron A26, which is a 2U cooler, but will fit my needs and has enough TDP headroom. I was hoping for something else like the Noctua tower cooler, just in the opposite orientation, rotated 90 degrees.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
A 60mm fan with 8000 rpm max... I don't know if that is much better.
Maybe if the server is in a dedicated room.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
A 60mm fan with 8000 rpm max... I don't know if that is much better.
Maybe if the server is in a dedicated room.
I obviously want to try reduce noise as much as possible and yes, it is in a separate room behind closed doors, but that's why I'm asking if anyone has seen anything else out there :)... even a nice passive cooler, as I have enough airflow through the case. Seems like there isn't much out there as of yet.

I guess I'll test temps with this and I can always replace the fan with something quieter if it seems to cool fine.

Erick