AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Launched for Ultrathin Mobile

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
1080p on a laptop is awful. 4kish screen on these monsters. Anything less and why pay premium for these laptops.

Unless these ultrabooks are $500 which then I may accept...

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
A thing which I hate about the Mobile market is that it is damn hard to get good benchmarks of individual components, they end up comparing Notebooks as a whole. There are simply too many instances where the Notebook cooling and throttle caps only make them look good for burst usage and falls down heavily for sustained, so a particular Notebook can make an individual component look good or bad. Same with Notebooks that doesn't use Dual Channel, important for big iGPUs.
I know what to expect of Raven Ridge CPU. Actually, the single CCX design actually solves one of the few criticable things that Zen had. What I don't know is what to expect of the integrated Vega, as it sounds like a very powerful GPU that will be extremely bandwidth limited by just Dual Channel DDR4. I suppose that it should obliterate Intel iGPU offerings and be a healthy margin on top of the Iris Pro, but I don't know to what discrete nVidia or AMD offerings it would compare to. But yes, as a whole, it is a supremely powerful SoC, it doesn't suffer from the anemic CPU issues of previous APUs and in Notebooks Zen doesn't feel outscaled in Frequency by Intel Processors. If RR is priced appropiately and OEMs adopts it (Cause I can't assemble my own Notebook myself, have to wait for someone to put out a product I would want), it could be a game changer.
I'm not sure if RR can do anything useful in Desktop. It should be able to offer Ci7 4770K level performance and a decent GPU, if priced good enough, for the masses. Is the sort of product that would be good for a early 2000 era cybercafe, and maybe as a general purpose option for an all rounder budget computer.

Lenovo recently released Bristol Ridge based Thinkpads, the A275 (Similar to X270) and A475 (Similar to T470). They're screaming to get upgraded to Raven Ridge. Wish I had them oney for one, cause I would love an RR based Thinkpad.