AMD Ryzen V1605B 8GB DDR4 120GB SSD Mini PC US $329.97

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
4C/8T CPU and Vega 8 GPU:

You can pick up the lowest-end Zen 1 CPU made, the 35W Ryzen 3 2200G (4C/4T) with Vega 8 iGPU, for about $75-$100. No idea how it would compare though. But since it would be a DIY mini-PC build, you'd be able to upgrade the CPU down the road to Zen+ more highend with 8C/16T.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
A few observations:
  1. Will not ship internationally (at least not as it is ATM - I have not asked them though - nor do I care to)
  2. The board has two RJ45 ethernet ports, so may be usable as a firewall.
  3. As far as I can tell, Silverstone VT01 is just the name of the case that takes mini STX boards, the motherboard model and maker is unknown
  4. My best guess (based on this Anandtech article) is that it is a FP5V board from Sapphire (look at the rear panel port configuration).
  5. Appears to not include a power brick, I hope I am wrong, but there is no brick in the pictures, and the listing includes the text "Power Cable NOT included"
My verdict: Interesting, but not for me :)

Reactions: Fritz

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
4C/8T CPU and Vega 8 GPU:

You can pick up the lowest-end Zen 1 CPU made, the 35W Ryzen 3 2200G (4C/4T) with Vega 8 iGPU, for about $75-$100. No idea how it would compare though. But since it would be a DIY mini-PC build, you'd be able to upgrade the CPU down the road to Zen+ more highend with 8C/16T.
The V1605B is closer to a Ryzen 5 2500U - roughly the same specs, about the same performance, with the same thermal output, and both are soldered to the board (so no upgrades). The Ryzen 3 2200G will be roughly similar but would put out a bit more thermals, which would mean a beefier cooling solution.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
A few observations:
  1. Will not ship internationally (at least not as it is ATM - I have not asked them though - nor do I care to)
  2. The board has two RJ45 ethernet ports, so may be usable as a firewall.
  3. As far as I can tell, Silverstone VT01 is just the name of the case that takes mini STX boards, the motherboard model and maker is unknown
  4. My best guess (based on this Anandtech article) is that it is a FP5V board from Sapphire (look at the rear panel port configuration).
  5. Appears to not include a power brick, I hope I am wrong, but there is no brick in the pictures, and the listing includes the text "Power Cable NOT included"
My verdict: Interesting, but not for me :)
Eh, I don’t think they are good value for the money. Those 2 ethernet ports are Realtek RTL8111C based, and up until relatively recently those NICs are…not well thought-of, what with buggy drivers leading to kernel panics on both Linux and BSD. They are still not supported in ESXi7.

The real albatross around its head is that you can occasionally find the HP t740 thin clients (Ryzen V1756B, which is about the same as a Ryzen 5 2600H) with RAM, a small SSD, a Wifi/BT NIC, a Win10 IoT license and a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot for less than 330 USD (shipping extra). Sometimes they even come with 3 year warranties.

If you don’t want the PCIe, the Lenovo m725qs with Ryzen 3 2200s and Ryzen 5 2400GEs are often around the same price and with a Win10 license tattooed in. The warranty might still be intact with enterprise entitlements.

And yeah, depending on the price point on the various components you might be able to build a MiniITX box for around the same ballpark, especially if you got “junk” parts like 8GB SODIMMs or small SSDs lying around.

Last edited: