AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3975WX 32-Core Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Nice to see that STH has come to the same conclusion as I (Too much platform fragmentation, TR Pro and EPYC are too close and should be merged)

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
while i agree that TR Pro and Epyc should be merged, why price difference is so high?
for example 3955WX list price is $1,149. if we compare it with Epyc 7Fx2 series because of similar CPU Clock, Epyc 7Fx2 is more more expensive..

and could we get also single thread performance comparison too?

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
The 7F lineup has more things going for it.
It is dual-socket capable. And the CPUs consist of more enabled dies, meaning more L3 cache and more memory bandwidth, especially with low core counts.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
while i agree that TR Pro and Epyc should be merged, why price difference is so high?
High clocks, for core licensed applications (like oracle or ms sql server databases)
for example 3955WX list price is $1,149. if we compare it with Epyc 7Fx2 series because of similar CPU Clock, this one is more more expensive..
and could we get also single thread performance comparison too?
Where do you find an epyc 7fx2 that's cheaper than the threadripper pro? I want one :D
ZEN2.PNG

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Like I said before, TR Pro should be replaced with single Socket F-SKUs (e.g. 75F3-P).
That way it's possible to use them on regular EPYC boards and benefit from the much larger amount of boards for SP3 (even ATX or Micro ATX when you look at ASRock, whereas the TR Pro boards are all E-ATX).

There could also be Workstation EPYC boards which would open up even more possibilities (it should be possible to just combine a TRX40 or X570 chipset with an EPYC CPU, given they're just using PCIe uplink and not Infinity Fabric or similar).

Threadripper Pro does not allow overclocking, so there's not too much difference compared to EPYC.
AMD also wouldn't compete with their own products, because as of now there are no single socket F-SKUs.
TDP also shouldn't be an issue because the 75F3 or 7763 also have 280W TDP...

Reactions: uldise

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
sorry, English is not my native - i wrote 7fx2 is more expensive, and i wonder why so much :)