AMD Ryzen Systems - Tips to save money

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just wanted to pass along a few notes on building Ryzen systems since I know a lot of people are thinking about builds.

CPUs and Cooling
Unless you are going crazy on cooling and spending a ton on it, just get the AMD Ryzen 7 1700. The stock cooler is good for getting the chips to 1700X and maybe 1800X speeds.

Motherboards
If you are only doing one GPU and maybe a 10GbE card, a few SSDs/ HDDs and not looking for lots of USB, get a B350 motherboard.

Aside from PCIe, SATA and USB, the X370's have a few advantages. Some of the B350 boards have, at best, very few 4-Pin PWM headers. For example, the ASUS B350 board we have been using has only three which is really low.

Another X370 advantage is that the firmware seems more mature.

Finally, the Ryzen motherboards are using a new Realtek NIC. The impact of this is that it is not recognized by default in many OSes. The B350 boards are particularly impacted as they aim for cost optimization. Many of the X370 boards use Intel i211 NICs which are supported in everything.

My advice, assume you need a B350 board, then buy up for features. If you want a Type-C connector, for example, and it costs $70 more for a board with one, make that decision knowingly.

Memory
Compared to Intel, this is still very immature on the AMD Ryzen platform. There are plenty of horror stories. It seems like Samsung based RAM is the best.

Building the next system, I am going with DDR4-2666 for 64GB. The RAM modules are less expensive. Also, getting 2x 8GB seems to be easy to get to DDR4-3200. At 4 DIMMs, DDR4-2933 seems a more realistic goal. It does matter which board but a good part of this is that the motherboard vendors are waiting on AMD.

My advice, plan for no more than DDR4-2800 if you are going 64GB. A side benefit is that it is also considerably less expensive. Save that money today for a future upgrade.

Last edited:

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
I just wanted to pass along a few notes on building Ryzen systems since I know a lot of people are thinking about builds.

CPUs and Cooling
Unless you are going crazy on cooling and spending a ton on it, just get the AMD Ryzen 7 1700. The stock cooler is good for getting the chips to 1700X and maybe 1800X speeds.

Motherboards
If you are only doing one GPU and maybe a 10GbE card, a few SSDs/ HDDs and not looking for lots of USB, get a B350 motherboard.

Aside from PCIe, SATA and USB, the X370's have a few advantages. Some of the B350 boards have, at best, very few 4-Pin PWM headers. For example, the ASUS B350 board we have been using has only three which is really low.

My advice, assume you need a B350 board, then buy up for features. If you want a Type-C connector, for example, and it costs $70 more for a board with one, make that decision knowingly.

Memory
Compared to Intel, this is still very immature on the AMD Ryzen platform. There are plenty of horror stories. It seems like Samsung based RAM is the best.

Building the next system, I am going with DDR4-2666 for 64GB. The RAM modules are less expensive. Also, getting 2x 8GB seems to be easy to get to DDR4-3200. At 4 DIMMs, DDR4-2933 seems a more realistic goal. It does matter which board but a good part of this is that the motherboard vendors are waiting on AMD.

My advice, plan for no more than DDR4-2800 if you are going 64GB. A side benefit is that it is also considerably less expensive. Save that money today for a future upgrade.
though ram prices are on the rise, so might want to get all your ram now :)

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017

CPUs and Cooling

Motherboards

Finally, the Ryzen motherboards are using a new Realtek NIC. The impact of this is that it is not recognized by default in many OSes. The B350 boards are particularly impacted as they aim for cost optimization. Many of the X370 boards use Intel i211 NICs which are supported in everything.

Memory

Patrick, do you happen to remember if you had any issues with RAM timings/xmp/post? Do you happen to remember what RAM make and model did you use for the 64GB? I know g.skill is coming out with their Flare and Fortis series and that Corsair (model???) was in all the media kits. As I've trawled the internet, I've only seen 2 people who reported their 32 or 64GB modules and they were both g.skill TridentZ. Thank you.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick, do you happen to remember if you had any issues with RAM timings/xmp/post? Do you happen to remember what RAM make and model did you use for the 64GB? I know g.skill is coming out with their Flare and Fortis series and that Corsair (model???) was in all the media kits. As I've trawled the internet, I've only seen 2 people who reported their 32 or 64GB modules and they were both g.skill TridentZ. Thank you.
Yes, especially when we moved beyond the first two/ three systems. I have been using a lot of G.Skill TridentZ, however, it is a bit trickier. Changing BIOS, changing CPU, changing motherboard all may cause the XMP profile to fail to boot. Even swapping Ryzen 7 1700 for Ryzen 7 1700 in the same motherboard with the same RAM often may cause the setup to fail at the same speeds. This is something I did not appreciate when setting up the first systems.

My guidance at this point with 64GB - shoot for 2666MHz as that is a more attainable figure and you also will save a lot of money over 3200MHz.

Reactions: DWSimmons