AMD Ryzen 7 Parts Available for Pre-Order Now!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
haven't intel motherboards been more feature laden than AMD? What's the point of having an AMD chip with every feature under the sun if you need add-in cards for SAS, 10gig, etc
They are launching Desktop first.

I am not as excited about the AM4 platform.

Reactions: gigatexal

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
My very first "low power" server build was on an AM3+ chip using ECC memory. I was ecstatic to get a system idle below 30 watts with the drives spun down (16GB & 4x 500GB IIRC - big time :)). I really believe that competing with this is why the Pentium & I3 chips always supported ECC - until Kaby Lake, of course, when Intel figured out that the lack of competition could allow them to reserve that to E3 and price accordingly.
I think it's more that they realized it was pointless, and most motherboard manufacturers weren't implementing the support properly anyway. (AMD's had the same problem...)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
if they are smart they'll reinvest all their windfalls from this launch into speeding up the launch of zen+ and zen++ to keep up the ante and win both mindshare and marketshare from Intel
Yep. Gotta keep their foot on the gas.

I'm torn right now between buying a 7700k this weekend and delidding in hopes of 5+Ghz for maximal singlethreaded performance, or just waiting on Ryzen reviews. I'll probably wait.

Also very curious what Intel's response is going to be if Ryzen really puts a dent into the pace of Kaby sales.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
I'm waiting out for some more reviews as it's not needed asap for me right now.
I really hope however that their server versions are great. I know we waited for a long time back when they talked about their quad core Opteron's only to be told by AMD sales and techs to buy Intel that's been I believe over 10 years now.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I don't have any use cases that put me in the mood to buy one of these but I am hoping that this will create better pricing in the E5 v3 and v4's. The lack of ECCs and MP puts a bit of a crimp in things but I can imagine entry level workstations built on the new AMD chips. I'm really hoping this is a first step in AMD returning to profitability. I like competition and have always been a fan of AMD despite rarely buying their hardware.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
@RobertFontaine E5's have ECC, huge mem capacities, 2S capable, more pcie, sata, and more cores. E5-2620 V4 is already $420 for 8 cores with more cache but lower clocks.

I don't think E5's are gonna have to move, it's the i3 i5 and i7's that are getting a price drop.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
@RobertFontaine E5's have ECC, huge mem capacities, 2S capable, more pcie, sata, and more cores. E5-2620 V4 is already $420 for 8 cores with more cache but lower clocks.

I don't think E5's are gonna have to move, it's the i3 i5 and i7's that are getting a price drop.
I can dream, but until ecc and smp are added to amd's toolkit with these new cpu's you are probably right. Intel has no need to cut pricing until the day that amd actually releases working product.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Wait for Naples or at least an Opteron version of Ryzen. You may have both ECC support and a weak integrated GPU of sorts if you get a Server Motherboard with a BMC (Like the Aspeed).

Heck, while Ryzen can go up to 8C/16T, in I/O it isn't as strong as LGA 2011-3, it is just barely above LGA 1151. Dual Channel and 20 Processor PCIe Lanes compared to Quad and 40. If you need either RAM capacity, Memory Bandwidth or PCIe Lanes, Desktop Ryzen is not competitive against a cheap Dual Xeon E5 2600v4 platform. And the next Skylake-E platform was supposed to be even more expansive than that.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Wait for Naples or at least an Opteron version of Ryzen. You may have both ECC support and a weak integrated GPU of sorts if you get a Server Motherboard with a BMC (Like the Aspeed).

Heck, while Ryzen can go up to 8C/16T, in I/O it isn't as strong as LGA 2011-3, it is just barely above LGA 1151. Dual Channel and 20 Processor PCIe Lanes compared to Quad and 40. If you need either RAM capacity, Memory Bandwidth or PCIe Lanes, Desktop Ryzen is not competitive against a cheap Dual Xeon E5 2600v4 platform. And the next Skylake-E platform was supposed to be even more expansive than that.
This is the animal I'm waiting for. Hopefully we'll hear something from supermicro regarding Naples mobos in the lead up to Q2. Excited to see Ryzen reviews, and I hope some Naples models with fairly high clocks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Do you have proof that the 1700X or the 1800X is not on-par if not better in ST/MT applications against say a 6900K? I don't think comparing a desktop AM4 Ryzen processor to a dual E5 Xeon is an apples to apples test either. It would be better to compare Naples to Skylake-EP or Broadwell-EP once it's released in the 2nd quarter.
I said "in I/O", not compute. I don't need benchmark proof, just look at the plain specifications to figure it out.
There is no comments regarding if consumer Ryzen will support RDIMM, but chances are that it will not because it is consumer, so you will be probably capped to 64 GiB RAM (4 * 16 GiB). Ryzen also has just 20 PCIe Lanes (Hypothetically 24 if you used Ryzen with no Chipset, but I don't know if someone designed a Motherboard to use Ryzen as SoC. Theorically, is possible), thus you can do at most 8x/8x/4x, while LGA 2011-3 has 40 PCIe Lanes and can do 8x/8x/8x/8x/8x. If you need lots of RAM or PCIe Bandwidth, Intel HEDT is better and consumer Ryzen can't directly compete there.

Also, you do not NEED to use LGA 2011-3 with Dual Processors. A 4C/8T Xeon E5 1620v4 (Single Processor) cost 300 U$D (Same as Core i7 6700K/7700K, and I actually prefer the Xeon E5 to these) or so has RDIMM support (Up to maybe 512 GiB RAM?) and the 40 PCIe Lanes. If you need RAM, or I/O because you're doing something GPGPU related and the PCIe Bandwidth matters, as if you wanted to go full NVMe, Broadwell-E is still better that consumer Ryzen.
You can actually say that consumer Ryzen is the compute power of a 8C/16T Broadwell-E die but based on a Desktop infrastructure that limits it on how much it can grow in parallel.