AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Linux Benchmarks

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
P

Patrick Kennedy

Reactions: eva2000 and William

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
NDA lifted at 9AM eastern today.

I saw who else was reviewing these chips and the Windows world will be well covered. It also seemed like there was not much happening on the Linux side. STH will have a few more pieces come out in the coming days.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Would love to see power usage for various work loads. mostly running hypervisors such as esxi with a few VMs.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
NDA lifted at 9AM eastern today.

I saw who else was reviewing these chips and the Windows world will be well covered. It also seemed like there was not much happening on the Linux side. STH will have a few more pieces come out in the coming days.
Sweet interested in how AMD Ryzen 7 performances on Linux especially in regards to virtualisation i.e. virtualbox, vmware, kvm etc :)

and output on linux for native march detected by gcc :)
Code:
gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march
edit: oh and you need to be using Linux 4.10+ Kernel for Ryzen 7 :)

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Nice! More positive news to steer me toward getting an AMD based main desktop again (finally!).

Any chance that you can highlight the bar corresponding to the system in question (at least when doing single system/cpu vs others) in the graphs so we don't need to click and then click again to get one the is easier to read the CPU info on? Not too bad when there are < 8 items but when you do the graphs with a lot of comparisons which are great it is nice to see how X ranks quickly in all the various benchmarks by scrolling up and down the page to compare.

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Now I am seriously considering Ryzen instead of dual E5-2670 v1 for a heavily multithreaded workload (ABBYY FineReader). Interested in power consumption, as others have said, and thermals when at 100% CPU for a long time. Appreciate the article.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Glad to hopefully see AMD back in the game with some performance and price competitive hardware :)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Naples will (of course). I did tell execs at AMD that they need to have ECC support and they all said some variant of "we are not disclosing plans for an ECC Ryzen at this time, but stay tuned."
If the previous leaks hold true... I would guess the pro versions are akin to the previous business line.
Other than that... @William Show us the overclock!

Reactions: T_Minus

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
Naples will (of course). I did tell execs at AMD that they need to have ECC support and they all said some variant of "we are not disclosing plans for an ECC Ryzen at this time, but stay tuned."

so possibly the Pro version that was leaked???

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for posting the Linux benchmarks! I'm curious to see how it does with VMs and some of the things other posters suggested as well.

I got an email from Newegg about them, so I decided to check out pricing for a complete system. I was surprised at the low motherboard costs. Intel boards are much more expensive.

Nice to see AMD holding their own on the CPU front again. Even if it's just "competitive", they tend to do very well in any price/performance comparison. Particularly with lower priced motherboards.

A couple things keep me out, one is that I just don't need more performance in my workstation at the moment, so no point in spending the money. Costs a bit high, but that's not unusual for a newly released part. I'm just being cheap there. :) I also am leaning toward only buying setups that support ECC now. Not because I think my workstation really needs it, just to standardize the RAM I have around the house so I can repurpose it later. I would prefer that any DDR4 I buy be ECC RDIMM for that reason. Price difference is higher than I'd like for the moment, but I expect that will get closer like DDR3 did. And it's been in use long enough that ebay is becoming a viable source for them, which brings the cost difference down.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Missing is figuring out if there is PCIe ACS support or not, and how IOMMU Groups looks for Passthrough with QEMU with VFIO.
This is what is stopping me from driving down to Microcenter this morning and buying a 1700X. I am tempted to do it anyways because even if it doesn't work great for VM's it still looks like a good alternative to a 6900K.

Reactions: wsuff and Patriot

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A few bits (need to head out to get another VGA to DVI/ HDMI adapter to get the Lantronix working.)

@Nanotech Ian had his benchmark table setup in the hotel in SF next to me while we were doing the AT podcast last week. He was very excited and does an awesome job.
@gigatexal - Will share a photo later, but I have two ASUS B350 (sans bifurcation) setups that are getting installed today with 64GB RAM. One with a 7 1700 and one with a 7 1700X. I think we are going to only get the 7 1700X in the lab for DemoEval. Once these are up and running, we will be able to get bits for @zir_blazer and @eva2000 soon.

Cost wise, the ASUS B350 boards sell for $99 so you can get the cooler, motherboard and CPU (7 1700) for $429 which is good. 64GB RAM will cost about the same. The B350 gives up PCIe bifurcation which is not a huge deal and the boards I wanted to be inexpensive and low power.

And if you are wondering what is taking so long... it is a VGA adapter.

Last edited: