AMD Radeon PRO WX 4100 Review of a Low Power GPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'd love to see a follow up on this with the quadro p620, we just used the older p600(we had them on hand) variant for a 8x4k portable signage system. Specifically the p620 is in the same price bracket as the w4100(about 200usd new) these days but does offer cuda and nvdec/nvenc but only carries half(2gb) of the ram.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Any thoughts on this vs the WX7100, or any other single-slot GPUs? I'm looking to fit 2 in my server. 1 for basic VDI use, another with HDMI outputs to pass through to a media center VM.

Any AMD or non-consumer nVidia, since NV restricts Hyper-V DDA.
Must be single slot.
Prefer PCIe x8, but I'm not above notching the blank part of a cheap card or the back of the slot if I have to.
Would like to get the highest performance possible in the form factor.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Any thoughts on this vs the WX7100, or any other single-slot GPUs? I'm looking to fit 2 in my server. 1 for basic VDI use, another with HDMI outputs to pass through to a media center VM.

Any AMD or non-consumer nVidia, since NV restricts Hyper-V DDA.
Must be single slot.
Prefer PCIe x8, but I'm not above notching the blank part of a cheap card or the back of the slot if I have to.
Would like to get the highest performance possible in the form factor.
If money is no object the most performance you're going to get is out of an RX4000, it's a RTX2070 crammed into a single slot(I currently use the predecessor P4000 in my desktop which was a slightly cut 1070) I wouldn't go lower than a P2000 if you're looking at a mediacenter usage since you'll see reductions in NVENC/NVDEC capabilities regarding concurrent streams. a P2000 nets you a slightly cut GTX1060 inside a single slot and the P2200 gets you full GP106 silicon both are limited(the p2000 and p2200) to a 75w budget so clocks won't be as high as a 1060 would be even with the full gp106.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Maybe highest performance possible wasn't the right wording, although more is always better for the rare occasion I'll want to run hashcat or similar. The RX4000 is way more than I'd want to spend. Media center usage is mostly playing movies on my 4K60 TV, displaying 12x security camera streams, and crypto trading charts. I'm fine with using CPU to decode, zero transcoding. It's got 56 Xeon Platinum cores that I'll rarely fully utilize.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Maybe highest performance possible wasn't the right wording, although more is always better for the rare occasion I'll want to run hashcat or similar. The RX4000 is way more than I'd want to spend. Media center usage is mostly playing movies on my 4K60 TV, displaying 12x security camera streams, and crypto trading charts. I'm fine with using CPU to decode, zero transcoding. It's got 56 Xeon Platinum cores that I'll rarely fully utilize.
If you're comfortable with ebay then i'd give the P4000 a solid look, at 500 dollars it's in the same ballpark as the wx 7100 you asked about but i've always had better luck with nvidia drivers than amd. That said there's a few scenarios(anything crypto related) that the radeon cards are just better at outside of that nvidia's drivers seem more stable from what i've encountered and cuda is always a perk.

Reactions: mb300sd