AMD PSB Vendor Locks EPYC CPUs for Enhanced Security at a Cost

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Honestly, this is a really cool feature from a security standpoint. It prevents a lot of different attack vectors that are particularly hard to mitigate.

As for re-use: My first thought was that AMD should have allowed for users to disable this feature (with a motherboard switch or jumper), but even this re-introduces issues if the supply chain is compromised. The ability to enable/disable PSB would likely have to be handled on the CPU itself to not compromise the security it provides. That isn't easy to do in an end-user-configurable way. Security without any compromises is challenging, unfortunately.

I understand the e-waste / re-usability argument, but I think it's overblown (at least somewhat, anyway). If the second-hand market ends up being flush with non-vendor-locked systems and vendor-locked CPUs, where did all the systems the vendor-locked CPUs came from end up? I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of hardware even makes it onto the second-hand market to begin with, honestly. I'd bet the number would be surprisingly lower than we'd expect or hope for. In strict security applications, entire servers usually get shredded after they're past their usable life (per various regulations or ease of compliance); this would have zero impact on that (fairly large) sector to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@i386 I doubt that would happen. They are selling an unlocked chip. The locking happens by an OEM/ ODM/ VAR/ End-user's action.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
It just occurred to me. Somebody shall put her unlocked Epyc into one of those "locking machines" by Dell or Lenovo and then just sue the bstrds for damages and a pristine working CPU. In Germany for example there is code in BGB 862 to get such relief.

This is not a security feature. This is a malicious forward-looking attempt to dry out the secondary market for these CPUs once they are written-off in 5 years. AMD and its OEMs do not want to see 32/48/64-core Milan EPYCs on the market for under a 1000 bucks. They want to sell you a new one for 5000 or 8000.

All it will take is one successful lawsuit and this transgression into owners' property rights will be over.