AMD Opteron A1100 – Now “Released”

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iGene

Jun 15, 2014
Taiwan
Got some Gigabyte MP30-AR0 board to play around. Had a hard time with them as u-boot is not just as easy to use as UEFI BIOS. Also the kernel for arm64 boards are still a problem, can't get kvm and docker to work on those system. Wish that these AMD processor could have some better support then those Gigabyte board with APM X-Gene 1. It may be fun if I can get these boards. Continuing following 96boards for there release of enterprise edition boards with these AMD processors.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I keep cheering for AMD but outside of their gpu's I have a tough time giving them my money. How they are going to come up with a sustainable business model is beyond my understanding. I was personally hoping they were going to go hard after gpgpu compute but they don't seem to be getting tight focus.
IBM and ARM are both coming up in that space. Intel is almost as late as AMD with their KNIGHT's LANDING product. AMD is in all the gaming consoles but it seemed like the margins on that were unusually tight.

IMO They need to find a market niche that they can excel at rather than trying to be everything to everyone with such a small market cap.

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
How did you get one of those?!?

And @gigatexal check my second post on the Opteron A1100 in terms of my personal editorial POV.
Just read it. It is a compelling platform. And it needs to be.

Perhaps if they put out something on Zen (I know Zen != A1100s as they're based on ARM but still, Zen being a new platform...) that is anything like broadwell-D it might cause intel to lower it's prices on D-1541s... eh, a guy can hope.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
It's not compelling enough to pay for the R&D. The obituary will say "died with a whimper, not a roar".

iGene

Jun 15, 2014
Taiwan
@Patrick I'm a undergraduate university student in Taiwan, I got those board from the computer science department of my school as they bought some for research usage but they rarely use it. So I took two of those for my own research.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

iGene

Jun 15, 2014
Taiwan
@Patrick @gigatexal
I think I'll run some benchmark on it after getting linux kernel fixed. The kernel that Gigabyte provide is actually problematic, and haven't gotten my own cross-compiled kernel to work with my config, they just kernel panic every time I boot. However, I got the config that Gigabyte use to configure their "bootable" kernel. Going to compile it with some of my added config and see if it will work.